You normally need a visa and a residence permit to enter Germany. You will find information about visa applications and entry requirements in this section of our website.

As soon as you receive the admission letter from the University of Kassel, you will be able to apply for a visa from the German embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence. The addresses of German embassies and consulates and information regarding entry requirements can be found on the website of the German Foreign Office. You will also find information on the specific requirements for obtaining a visa on a country-by-country basis there.

Nationals from EU countries, the European Economic Area and Switzerland

Nationals from EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland generally do not need a visa to enter Germany; a passport is sufficient.

Nationals from Australia, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the USA

Nationals from these countries do not need a visa to enter Germany. However, a residence permit is required if they stay longer than three months. This can be obtained after your arrival in Germany from one of the immigration authorities listed below.

Nationals of all other non-EU Countries

You need a visa to enter Germany. You should apply for a visa as early as possible. This can be done at the German embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence. If your spouse or child(ren) are joining you during your stay in Germany, we recommend that you apply for their visas at the same time, even if your family is arriving several weeks later.