You would like to study for one or two semesters as an exchange student at the Department of Social Sciences (FB05) or stay longer and earn a degree?


We offer various study programmes at Bachelor and Master level.

The majority of the curriculum is in German, with a selection of courses in English.

English taught Master programmes

At Master's level, we offer two English taught programmes:

Master Global Political Economy and Development (GPED)
Master Labour Policies and Globalisation (LPG)

If you have any questions regarding the English taught programmes, please contact the respective coordinator directly.

Exchange Students

If you would like to come to our department within the framework of the Erasmus+ programme or Partner-University, please first check at your university whether there is a cooperation with our faculty. The person in charge at your university will provide you with further information about the process.

You can also come to our faculty as a freemover, i.e. as part of a self-organised stay.

Degree-seeking Students

If you would like to come to our department to complete an entire degree programme, please inform yourself about the prerequisites and application procedures of the respective degree programme in the overview of all degree programmes at FB05.

Information about the organisation of your stay

For general information about the university, the city of Kassel and the organisation of your stay (accommodation, financing, visa, health insurance, etc.), please visit the website of our Welcome Centre.

German Courses

The International Language Centre (ISZ) offers language courses at various levels. Also special preparatory courses for exchange students.

Do you still have questions or uncertainties? Feel free to contact us via email!

Helpful Information

Right of residence and Covid-19

The City of Kassel has summarised on its homepage the most frequently asked questions and answers currently provided by the Foreigners' Registration Office regarding residence status due to the restrictions associated with the Corona virus.

Social advisory Service of the Studierendenwerk

If you have financial worries, you can contact the Social Advisory Service of the Studierendenwerk. There you will receive advice on, among other things, student finance, student loans, scholarships, ALG II, child benefit, housing benefit. They are experts in social benefits and can be contacted in the event of problems.

Tips for finding a doctor in the Kassel area

If you are looking for a specialist in Kassel, this platform will help you. You can use the search mask to find a family doctor, a specialist or a psychotherapist who has his practice near your home. A search by language is also possible.

Mental health: Counselling at Studierendenwerk

The Psychological Counselling Centre (PBS) of the Studierendenwerk is a free service for students and members of the University of Kassel. In counselling sessions, those seeking advice are supported in overcoming their psychological crises. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic is a burden for everyone. Don't hesitate to take advantage of support services offered!

AKIS - Working Group International Students

The ESG (Lutheran student community) offers advice and help for international students regarding life and studies as well as support in case of financial distress.