Research Key Topics
The Fachgebiet Technische Physik is engaged in the following key topics:
- Development of novel process technologies to nanostructure semiconductor material systems
- Morphological, optical and electronical characterisation of nanostructured semiconductors
- Fabrication of novel optolelectronic and nanophotonic devices
- Optical and electronic device characterisation
- Fabrication and characterization of nano-crystalline diamond layers
For nanostructuring of semiconductors the following three directions are persued:
- Top-down approach: Fabrication of nanostructures by nano-lithography (e.g., electron, ion beam or nanoimprint patterning) and etching techiques (e.g., wet- or dry-chemical etching)
- Bottom-up approach: Fabrication of nanostructures with selforganized techniques (e.g., quantum dot growth by molecular beam epitaxy, Formation of nanocrystallites with special plasma deposition processes)
- Mixed approach: Fabrication of nanostructures by combining of top-down and bottom-up approaches (e.g., quantum dot growth on pre-patterned substrates).
An overview on topics is given in the Overview Poster.
The research is subdivided into the following areas: