Adding Value to Agricultural Products Using Solar Energy
The research project will be the initial step to the newly created “solar food processing network” where interested parties (like members of ISES - The International Solar Energy Society and Solare Brücke) from all over the world met at a summer school in Kassel in 2010. Former research projects from the University of Kassel Agri-Engineering Department showed that this new approach easily generates small-scale enterprises. Experienced researchers from Pakistan and Kenya will further develop this idea and adapt the technology to the specific needs of their home countries.
Expected Contribution to the Decent Work Agenda
Rural development through solar energy can easily be achieved by harvesting solar energy and utilizing this source in developing small-scale agro-based industry in the vicinity of villages.
The results have shown that the solar-based technologies can be successfully used for the processing of perishable agricultural products and non-traditional high-value products at the farm level. These solar based technologies provide possibilities to generate employment for the farming community by on-farm processing of their agricultural products at a low cost.
Research cluster related publications:
- Munir, A., O. Hensel, W. Scheffler, H. Hoedt, A. Ghafoor, W. Amjad. 2014. Design, development and experimental results of a solar-based distillery for the essential oils extracted from medicinal plants.Elsevier 108:548-559.
- Munir, A., J.Z. Alvi, S. Qasim, A. Ghafoor 2014. Performance evaluation of a biomass boiler on the basis of heat loss method and total heat values of steam. Pak. J Agri. Sci. 51(1):209-215.
- Munir, A., U. Sultan and Muhammad Iqbal., 2013, Development and performance evaluation of a locally fabricated portable solar-tunnel dryer for drying of fruits, vegetables and medicinal plants,, Pak. J Agri. Sci.,, 50(3), 495-498.
- Munir, A., A. Ullah, M. U. Ghani, M. Iqbal, M. Ahmad. 2012. Performance evaluation and simulation of photovoltaic powered water pumping system, Pak. j. life soc. Sci., 10(2): 166-171.
- Munir, A., M.A. Ashraf, A. Nasir, O. Hensel, M. Iqbal. 2012. Ergonomics and occupational health in the sugar industry of Pakistan, Pak. j. life soc. Sci., 10(1):74-79