Sophie Henschel Medal
The Institute of Materials Engineering awards the Sophie Henschel Medal to personalities who have rendered outstanding services to the institute's teaching and research.
The medal and the institute building are named after Sophie Henschel (1841-1915), who headed the Henschel und Sohn company for over sixteen years and was strongly committed to the social interests of the city of Kassel.
So far, the medal has been awarded to:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Helmut Wohlfahrt (2004)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h. c. Gottfried W. Ehrenstein (2004)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Horst Hentze (2004)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Günter Kirschling (2004)
- Dr. Volker E. Sperber (2006)
- Prof. Udo Fuhrmann (2006)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Horst-Dieter Tietz (2007)
- Dr.-Ing. Ralf Herzog (2013)
- Prof. Dr. habil. Hans-Peter Fink (2018)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Berthold Scholtes (2021)