Ap­ply­ing with for­eign cer­ti­fic­ates

If you would like to study with us, you need a recognised higher education entrance qualification – i.e. a school-leaving certificate that allows you to study at a university. Your nationality is irrelevant here – your school-leaving certificate simply has to be comparable to the German equivalent. You will also need to provide evidence of your knowledge of German. Please sort out the following issues before making your application:

The language of tuition for all the bachelor’s degree courses and most of the master’s degree courses at the University of Kassel is German. You therefore need an excellent knowledge of the language. You must provide evidence of this as part of the application procedure for a university place: Language requirements

  1. My school-leaving certificate has not been recognised.
    You may then attend the one-year preparatory course at the University of Kassel. The preparatory course prepares prospective students with foreign certificates to study at German universities. The preparation takes place in courses with a special focus and they are geared towards the subject that the prospective students will be studying at the university. You need to provide evidence of a knowledge of German at B1 level for this. This means having attended at least 400 German lessons. An examination is taken at the end of the course and this determines whether the students on the preparatory course are suitable to study at a university in the Federal Republic of Germany. The students are enrolled at the University of Kassel during their time on the preparatory course. Important: you must first apply through uni-assist and have obtained “conditional approval for the preparatory course”. As the places are in short supply, you must first complete an entrance examination. You can read more about all this at: Preparatory course at the University of Kassel (German only).
  2. My knowledge of German is not adequate.
    Once you have provided evidence of having attended 800 German lessons or having reached B2 level, you can apply for a preparatory language course. This will make you fit to complete the DSH examination. You can take the examination once you have attended at least 1,000 German lessons or have reached level C1 – this is possible at the University of Kassel too. You will find more information about this here: DSH examination at the University of Kassel.

1. Ap­ply­ing for a bach­elor’s de­gree course

If you would like to apply for a bachelor’s degree course at the University of Kassel, your application is processed by the central application service in Berlin known as uni-assist.

  • The examination certificate that entitles you to study at a university in your home country.
  • Certificates, summaries of grades or transcripts of records covering your previous studies at the university that you attended, if you have already studied at a university.
  • Evidence of your knowledge of German.
  • Evidence of your knowledge of English if you are applying for a bachelor’s degree course that requires a knowledge of English.
  • Depending on which bachelor’s degree course you are interested in, you must submit other documents or pass an entrance examination. Please read the instructions about the entry requirements on the relevant course fact sheet very carefully.
  • Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam must have their documents checked at an APS (Academic Evaluation Centre).
  • uni-assist requires two different versions of these documents: one an officially certified photocopy and the other an officially certified German or English translation. Please do not send any originals! Documents in digital form will not be taken into consideration.
  • Register at the online portal of uni-assist.
  • Once you have registered, you will be sent an activation link by e-mail. You can then apply online.
  • Please first complete the “applicant data” form.
  • Then complete the application form and select the bachelor’s degree course that you wish to study. Please be careful to answer the “Further questions” box, as additional information is required here.
  • Print the application form and send it by post to uni-assist with your certificates.
  • Please pay your application fee on the day that you send off your application.

Your complete application must arrive at uni-assist on time if it is going to be assessed and passed on to the University of Kassel.

  • uni-assist checks whether you meet the formal requirements to start studying at the University of Kassel.
  • If any documents are missing for this assessment process, uni-assist will contact you by e-mail. You will then receive an extended submission deadline.
  • If your documents meet the formal conditions, your details will be passed on to the University of Kassel. You will be informed of this by e-mail. You can then start making your visa application. You will find more information here: Welcome Centre – Preparations in your home country. The University of Kassel will issue you with a provisional letter of confirmation (but this is not your formal letter of acceptance) so that you can start applying for a visa. Please contact the Information Office for Studies for this.
  • If you do not meet the formal conditions or your school-leaving certificate from abroad does not qualify you to study at a German university, uni-assist will inform you of this by e-mail. Your documents will not be passed on to the University of Kassel. Admission is then not possible.

It may take up to eight weeks for uni-assist and us to assess your application documents. It is very important that you travel to Germany before the start of the semester in order to make a successful start to your studies. We therefore recommend that you apply early.

Have you already received your letter of acceptance and obtained your student visa? The next step involves enrolling at the University of Kassel. You need to follow the following steps for this:

  1. Obtain information about the necessary preparations in your home country: Welcome Centre: Preparations in your home country.
  2. As soon as you arrive in Germany, you need to register at the registration office, open a bank account and take out health insurance. You will find more information here: Welcome Centre: First steps
  3. Once you have opened a bank account and have taken out health insurance, please go to the student affairs office. The opening hours are: Monday – Thursday: 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
  4. Take your certificate of health insurance, a copy of your letter of acceptance and the completed application for enrolment with you. You will find the application for enrolment here: www.uni-kassel.de/go/einschreibantrag_englisch
  5. The student affairs office needs 2 – 5 days to complete your enrolment. Once you have been enrolled, the notification of enrolment will be sent to your German address by post. The notification of enrolment contains important information about paying the semester fees.
  6. The semester fees must be paid to the University of Kassel’s account within 14 days of you receiving your notification of enrolment. Otherwise, your enrolment will be cancelled and your university place will be allocated to a different prospective student.
  7. As soon as the semester fees have been received in the University of Kassel’s account, we will send you your student documents by post, including the semester ticket for use on public transport services. Please ensure that your name is on your post box.
  8. Make sure that you attend the Orientation week for international students.

The enrolment process may take up to 14 days to complete. We therefore recommend that you arrive in Kassel before 1 April if you are starting your studies in the summer semester and before 1 October if you are starting your studies in the winter semester. Otherwise, your semester ticket and your university account may not be issued in good time.

2. Ap­ply­ing for a mas­ter’s de­gree course

If you have not yet studied at the University of Kassel or a different university in Germany, but have gained your first bachelor’s qualifying degree abroad, you must also apply through the central assessment office in Berlin (uni-assist). Additional documents are necessary for many master’s degree courses. Please read the admission requirements for your course carefully: Master’s degree courses at the University of Kassel.