We accept the following language certificates:
- TestDaF: level 4 in all parts of the examination
Goethe Certificate: level 2 in all the module parts
- telc deutsch: C1 university level
German Language Diploma of the German Education Ministers’ Conference: DSD II with level C1 in all parts of the examination
- German language examination for university entrance (DSH) at a registered higher education institution: The DSH examination is divided into three stages. The DSH-2 is necessary for people wishing to start studying at a university. However, there is one exception here – for those interested in artistic courses (fine arts, visual communications and product design). All you need here is to pass DSH-1: Evidence of language proficiency for admission to study at the Kunsthochschule.
The International Study Centre – Language Centre at the University of Kassel enables people to take a DSH examination every year in March and September. It is only possible to take part if you have applied for a course of study and have received a letter of acceptance from the University of Kassel.
DSH preparation course:
You must provide evidence of having achieved level B2 in your knowledge of German according to the Common European Framework of Reference (GER) AND have attended at least 800 lessons of German if you want to take part in a DSH preparation course at the International Study Centre – Language Centre.
In order to take the DSH examination at the University of Kassel, you must provide evidence of having achieved level C1 in your knowledge of German according to the Common European Framework of Reference (GER) AND have attended at least 1000 lessons of German as a subject. You will find all the information on the preparation courses, the DSH examination and the conditions of participation here: DSH at the Language Centre at the University of Kassel.
There are other certificates that are an equivalent to the DSH. If you submit one of the following certificates with your application, you do not need to take the DSH examination.
- German-language qualifications from countries like Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Austria and Switzerland.
- School-leaving certificates with German as the language of tuition from the autonomous province of Bolzano/South Tyrol (Italy).
- School-leaving certificate from the upper grades of secondary education from the German-speaking community in the Kingdom of Belgium.
- The German certificate in the French diplôme du baccalauréat, which was gained after attending a bilingual German-French department at a secondary school.
- US Advanced Placement Examination (AP examination) in German.
- Higher Grade in German in the Scottish Certificate of Education.
- A school-leaving certificate from the international section of the “Luigi Galvani” Liceo Gimnasiale in Bologna.
- A school-leaving certificate from the German-Irish secondary education (Bilingual Leaving Certificate) at the German School in Dublin, St Kilian’s.
- A school-leaving certificate from the bilingual departments at the “Romagnosi” Liceo Ginnasio Statale in Parma or the Liceo Classico Statele Socrate in Bari.
- A-Level "German" in the British General Certificate of Education.
You can see in the summary of language requirements for studying whether your language certificates entitle you to study at a university or whether you need to take the DSH examination or perhaps first attend a preparatory course.