Chan­ging courses/Com­bined de­gree pro­gramme/Reregis­tra­tion

Formal Re­quire­ments

  • Changing your course of study or main subjects (Studiengangwechsel) requires that you meet the formal entrance requirements and application deadlines of the course you wish to take up. For details, see the information for prospective students.
  • Complete the Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel form, which is available through the Admissions Office (Studierendensekretariat).
  • Changing to a course in a closely-related subject area may allow the transfer of study credits from the previous course, thus advancing you to a higher semester (for example, you could start the new course of study as a second semester student, instead of starting over as a first semester student).
  • Joining a course with limited admission (Numerus Clausus - NC) in a higher semester is only possible if a free place is available in the semester you wish to enter.
  • Changing your course of study is only possible before the semester starts. For further details or to start the process of changing your course, please contact the Admissions Office (Studierendensekretariat) as soon as possible.

Visa Is­sues

An official change of course is generally no problem through the University of Kassel. However, the Ausländerbehörde (Foreign Office) is obligated to assess your study progress before agreeing to extend your limited student residence permit. Please be aware that there could be difficulties with visa extension if you decide to change courses late in your studies, change courses more than once, and/or there is no possibility of academic credit transfer from the previous course to the new course.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office (Studierendensekretariat) if you need further information.