Mak­ing cor­rect ap­plic­a­tions with for­eign cer­ti­fic­ates (bach­elor’s de­gree/state ex­am­in­a­tion)

We are delighted that you have decided to study at the University of Kassel! There are different application procedures.

A step-by-step guide

You will find step-by-step instructions here on how to apply for a place at the university if you have foreign certificates. There are other procedures too:

Ap­ply­ing with for­eign cer­ti­fic­ates (bach­elor’s de­gree or state ex­am­in­a­tion)

  1. 1. De­gree

    Will my degree be recognised?

    If you would like to study with us, you will need a recognised school leaving certificate or, in the case of a master's degree, a university degree. Your nationality does not matter - your degree only has to be comparable to a German qualification.

    I do not meet the requirements. What can I do?

    1. My certificate is not sufficient for a degree course.It is possible to attend the one-year preparatory college (Studienkolleg) at the University of Kassel. It prepares prospective students with foreign certificates to study at a German university. The preparation takes place through special courses that are geared towards the subject that the prospective students want to study at the university. You need proven German language skills at a B1 level for this. This involves at least 400 hours of German lessons.. At the end of a course, candidates at the preparatory college take an examination to determine whether they are suitable to study at a university. Students are enrolled at the University of Kassel during their time at the preparatory college.

      Important: You must first have applied for your desired degree program via uni-assist and received a "Conditional Admission to the Preparatory Course" (bedingte Zulassung zum Studienkolleg) from the Registrar's Office (Studierendensekretariat) of the University of Kassel. The "Conditional Admission to the Preparatory Course" also includes the invitation to the entrance examination. Since places are limited and you have to take the entrance examination, which already takes place at the end of June, your application should be sent to uni-assist as early as possible (despite the deadline of June 15th).

      Applications that are not received in time or that have not been evaluated in time will not be lost, but will automatically be considered for the following year. Please continue reading here: Preparatory college at the University of Kassel.

    2. My German language skills are inadequate.
      Once you can prove that you have attended 800 or more hours of German lessons or have passed the B2 level exams, you can apply for a preparatory language course. This will prepare you for the DSH exam. You can take the exam once you have completed at least 1,000 hours of German lessons or have passed level C1 – this is possible at the University of Kassel too. Further information is available here: DSH examination at the University of Kassel.
  2. 2. Know­ledge of Ger­man

    • How good does my knowledge of German have to be? The University of Kassel accepts the following German language certificates: Proof of German language skills
    • How good does my knowledge of English have to be? You can find out the required level in the admission requirements. The University of Kassel accepts the following English language certificates: Language certificates for a foreign language



    Depending on your university course, the language of instruction may be German, English or even  German and English. You have to prove your language skills by means of a language certificate when applying for a place at a university.

  3. 3. Fur­ther re­quire­ments

    • l will find out about other admission requirements on the application and admission site.
  4. 4. Dead­lines

    • I must find out about the deadlines on the home page of the course and apply early.

    The standard applicationdeadline for people with foreign certificates is 15 July for the winter semester and 15 January for the summer semester. These deadlines apply to many degree courses, but not all of them.

    There are additional deadlines for entrance and aptitude tests for some degree courses.  You can also find out about these deadlines on the home page of the degree course.

  5. 5. uni-as­sist

    •  I need to find out about the application procedure at the uni-assist website: “How to apply

    • If necessary, I need to watch the webinars on the application procedure via uni-assist.

    If you are a prospective student (including Germans and EU citizens) with a first professional qualification from abroad, you must always apply via uni-assist. uni-assist is the German service point for international student applications and it processes them.

    Uploading the documents in the uni-assist portal is the first step. The application is only complete when you transfer the application fee afterwards.

    The application process is completely online. Please do not send any documents by mail to uni-assist. 

  6. 6. Doc­u­ments

    • I will find out which documents are required on the home page of the degree course.
    • I will check the country information on the uni-assist website: country notes.
    • I will read the uni-assist information about official certification and notarised translations: Certification and translations.
    • I will have the documents that I need to submit translated into German or English
    • I will obtain officially certified copies of certificates and translations.
    • I will make digital copies of the original documents and certificates.
  7. 7. Ap­plic­a­­tion

    • The application will first be formally examined: Have all documents been submitted? Are the formal requirements met?

    • Upon completion of the formal examination, the application is forwarded to the examination board of your chosen degree programme.

    • In the next step, the examination board checks whether the substantive requirements for admission are also met. The examination board decides on the equivalence of the subject matter, the acknowledgement of previous performance, it decides on admission and rejection and, if necessary, imposes conditions regarding content.

    • The examination board reports the result back to the Master's Office digitally.

    • Should it be discovered in the course of the procedure that documents are missing, the applicants will be informed of this by email. The email will state the deadline for submission.

    • Depending on the Master's programme, it may take up to six weeks before you receive the result. Please refrain from making any enquiries during this period.

  8. 8. Pro­ced­ure

    • I wait for the results of the uni-assist test and, if necessary, I will submit further documents.

    uni-assist checks whether you meet the formal requirements for starting to study at the University of Kassel. You will receive the results by e-mail and by post after about 4-6 weeks. If you have met the formal requirements, your data will be forwarded to the University of Kassel. 

    If you do not meet the requirements for starting to study, your documents will not be forwarded to the University of Kassel. 

    Procedure once the University of Kassel has received your documents
    The application will first be formally examined. Have all the documents been submitted? Have the formal requirements been met?

    Applicants will be sent an e-mail informing them about any missing documents if this becomes apparent during the ongoing procedure. The e-mail will specify a deadline for submitting any such documents. 

    Depending on the degree course, it may take up to six weeks until you receive your results. Please refrain from making any enquiries during this period.

  9. 9. Ac­­cept­ance and visa

    • I receive a positive response from the University of Kassel by post and by e-mail.

      • If necessary, I have to submit additional documents.
    • Do I need a visa? If so, I can use the positive response and apply for it at the German embassy or a German consulate in my home country. To apply for a visa, I need the positive response from the University of Kassel, proof of funding for my studies and evidence of health insurance.
    1. Prospective students from EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland generally do not need an entry visa. An identity card is normally sufficient to enter Germany.
    2. Prospective students from all other non-EU countries need a visa to enter Germany. You should apply for this as early as possible at the German Embassy or a German Consulate in your home country or country of residence. If your spouse or children are accompanying you during your stay, it is advisable to submit the applications for you and your family members at the same time - even if your family travels to Germany a few weeks after you. Detailed information on obtaining a visa
    3. Prospective students from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the USA do not require a visa to enter Germany. If you are staying longer than three months, however, you will need a residence permit. You can apply for this at the relevant aliens’ office after you have arrived in Germany.

    You will find more information about making preparations in your home country here: Welcome Centre - Preparations in your home country

  10. 10. Travel and ar­rival

    Before arriving:

     After arriving:

    • Where will I arrive? Will I be picked up?
    • What do I do if something goes wrong during the journey?
    • Where can I go shopping at weekends/on public holidays?
    • Moving into a flat/room. Where do I pick up my key?
    • I need to register with the citizens’ office in the town with a notice of confirmation from my landlord (Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung). 
    • I need to open a bank account.

    • I need to find out about emergency numbers/hospitals.

    Arrive early. We recommend that you arrive in Kassel before 1 April if you are starting your course in the summer semester and before 1 October if you are starting your course in the winter semester

    Starter package (including bed linen)

    In order to make your first few days in Kassel a little more relaxed, the Student Services Organisation can provide different versions of a starter package; you can purchase it locally or in advance when booking your room. Bed linen, a duvet and pillow, cooking utensils and dishes are all available - we make sure that you have all the right equipment at a reasonable price right from the start.

    Rental contract and confirmation by the landlord

    When you move in, you will receive your rental contract and a notice of confirmation from your landlord, which you must present when you register at the citizens’ office. Ideally, you should print this notice of confirmation and have the landlord sign it when you move in.

    Bank account

    You need an account with a German bank to pay bills or your rent. Once you have opened an account (also known as a current account), you will receive an EC card. You can also use it to make cashless payments in most shops and withdraw money from ATMs. If you work in Germany, your salary will also be paid into your German bank account.

    To ensure that you get off to a good start, find out where you can get help if you have an accident or become ill – which will hopefully not happen.

  11. 11. En­roll­ment

    • I open the website of the application portal "eCampus":

    Enroll now

    • I log in again to the application portal "eCampus" with my user name and password. 
    • I click on the menu item "My studies" and then on "Application for studies".
    • I fill out the "Application for enrollment" form, uploading my portrait photo and entering my health insurance information.
    • I print out the "Application for Enrollment" twice (once for my records). 
    • I sign the paper printout.
    • I find out how to provide my proof of health insurance:
    • I send the application for enrollment, a certified copy of my Bachelor's degree certificate (if already available) and a copy of my proof of identity (ID card or passport) to the Student Secretariat (the address is on the application). If necessary, further documents will be added. 

    The Student Secretary’s Office needs some time to complete your registration. You will then receive notification of enrolment in digital form with further information about transferring the semester fees and paying for the CampusCard and the introductory events.

    You can enrol before or after you arrive. However, enrolment can only be fully completed once you have an address in Germany and have proof of health insurance.

  12. 12. Semester fees

    • I need to transfer the semester fees in good time.
    • If I transfer the fees from abroad, I must  take the processing charges into account.

    Students are charged semester fees each semester (covering administration fees, the Student Services Organisation, the semester ticket, the General Students’ Committee or AStA). You can discover the exact amount, payment deadlines and formalities related to the semester fees here: Semester fees

    You should make sure that you transfer the semester fees to the University of Kassel’s account within 14 days of receiving your notification of admission. Otherwise, your enrolment will be cancelled and your place will be given to another prospective student.

    Since bank transfers from abroad are subject to fees, you should transfer the semester fees after receiving your visa. What do you do if you have not received your visa or have not obtained it in good time? You can postpone your application to the next possible semester. Please read the information in your notification of admission and pay attention to the deadlines.

  13. 13. uni­versity ac­­count

    • I will receive my CampusCard once the University of Kassel has received my semester fees.
    • I will receive my university account.

    The CampusCard is your student ID for the entire duration of your studies. It is also your semester ticket and has other functions: it acts as your library card, culture ticket, payment card in refectories, copy card, etc. More information is available here:  CampusCard

    Once you have successfully enrolled, you will receive a university account. It is already set up; you just need to activate it. Your university account is your main access point to online services:

    • your e-mail account
    • access to the eCampus {including HIS-POS, Moodie, etc.)
    • access to the university Wi-Fi network
    • for registering at PC workstations in the computer pool rooms.

    Information from the IT Service Centre (ITS) (CampusCard, e-mail system, wlan, university network, software...)

  14. 14. In­­tro­­duct­ion

    • I need to look at the "Introduction and start of studies" subpage.
    • I need to attend the introduction week for international students: Orientation Week
    • I need to attend the introductory events during the first week of the semester (before the regular events} and find out about the timetables there.


    Orientation week

    You will learn a great deal about living and studying in Kassel, the campus and get to know many other international students and the Welcome Centre tutors during this week.

    The introductory events will answer the key questions about the structure of your degree course. You will obtain tips and advice about organising your studies and about how the course will proceed. The timetables are created during this time. And you will already get to know your future fellow students and the campus. So: do not miss it!

    You can find the semester dates at the University of Kassel here: Semester and class times


I do not meet the re­quire­ments. What can I do now?

  1. My school-leaving certificate is not enough for a degree course.
    It is then possible to attend the one-year preparatory course at the University of Kassel. The preparatory course prepares prospective students with foreign certificates for a degree course at German universities. The preparation takes place on special courses and is geared towards the degree subject that the prospective students wish to study at the university. You need evidence of having a knowledge of German at B1 level for this. That means at least 400 lessons of German. Students take an examination at the end of the course and this determines whether those attending the preparatory course are suitable for a degree course. Students are enrolled at the University of Kassel during their time on the preparatory course. Important: you must first apply via uni-assist and have received “conditional approval for the preparatory course”. As the places are in very short supply, you must first complete another entry examination. The closing date for applications is 30 April every year. You can read more here: Preparatory course at the University of Kassel.
  2. My knowledge of German is not adequate.
    Once you have evidence of having attended 800 lessons or have B2 level qualifications, you can apply for a preparatory language course. This will qualify you to take the German Language Examination for University Entrance (DSH). You can take the exam once you have attended at least 1,000 lessons or if you have C1 level qualifications – at the University of Kassel too. You will find more information here: DSH examination at the University of Kassel.

In­form­a­tion and ad­vice

Beratungssituation an der Infotheke im Campus CenterImage: Fabian Rüffert/Studio Blafield

Stu­dent En­quir­ies Of­fice

Your first contact point if you have any questions about your degree course is the “Student Enquiries Office"
information desk at the Campus Center, Moritzstrasse 18, level 3.


Student Enquiries Office: Forward