Health Insurance

EU Citizens

Citizens of the EU are covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), if they have insurance protection in their country of origin or country of current residence. EHIC is sufficient for a study period in Germany and covers you for emergency medical care in all German hospitals.

In order to enrol as a student at the University of Kassel it is neccesary to have proof of German health insurance cover. With EHIC you are able to get your health insurance cover confirmed by any public health insurance company in Germany. If your health insurance policy is not sufficient you may be required to take out additional health insurance cover for your time in Germany.

Please ask your health insurance policy provider in your country of origin whether your current policy will be enough to cover you for your time in Germany.

Non-EU Citizens

If you are a citizen from a country outside the EU, you will already need to provide a health insurance certificate when you apply for your visa. Please take out a foreign health insurance policy to cover the early part of your time in Germany. Please check whether your policy covers a visit to the doctor and time spent in hospital.  In most cases, the amount insured must be between EUR 30,000 and EUR 50,000.

If you plan to stay in Germany for more than 3 months, please do not take out foreign health insurance for your entire stay. Instead, contact the German embassy or consulate locally and enquire about the duration of cover that is needed to obtain a visa. If you take out private health insurance, please note that the insurance cover and scope is the same as that of statutory health insurance. Please inform yourself thoroughly before signing the contract which benefits the private health insurance covers.

Once you have enrolled at the University of Kassel, you need a health insurance certificate from a German health insurance scheme. You have to take out a health insurance policy with a German provider.