Re­si­dence Per­mit

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country, you have to apply for a residence permit at a local Foreigner's Registration Office ("Ausländerbehörde") before your entry visa expires.

In order to apply for a residence permit you usually need to provide the following documents:

    • Passport
    • Passport photo (biometric)
    • Health insurance certificate
    • Evidence of funding (e.g. bank statements, loan guarantee, scholarship, declaration of commitment)
    • Resident registration (provided by the local Residents' Bureau ("Bürgeramt"))
    • Evidence of the reason for your stay (e.g. certificate of language course, enrolment)
    • Fees: 100 € at initial distribution, 93 € - 96 € for an extension. Perhaps 13 € for a „Fiktionsbescheinigung“ (probationary)
    • Other documents may be required


    Plea­se al­so no­te the fol­lo­wing Information:

    In Kassel

    Please file your application at the Foreigners' Registration Office in Kassel.

    Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 29
    34125 Kassel

    Telephone +49 561 787 787

    Office Hours:

    Only by appointment:
    Mon,Tue, Thu, Fri 8:30 - 12:30,
    Wed 14:00 - 17:30


    The Foreigners' Registration Office regularly opens an office on the campus.

    Abteilung für Zuwanderung und Integration

    (Foreigners Office)


    Moritzstr. 18 (3. Ebene)
    Campus Center
    Room 3119

    Office Hours:
    Wed 13:00 - 16:30,
    Fri 8:30 - 11:50 (only by appointment through the Information Studium):

    phone: +49 561 804-2205

    If you have any questions about applying for or extending your visa, please feel free to contact the Visa Information Service.

    Contact and office hours:


    Moritzstr. 18 (2. Ebene)
    Campus Center
    Room 2128a

    Telephone +49 561 804-2210
    E-mail address

    Office Hours:
    Tue and Thu 1 - 3 pm (and by appointment)

    In Wit­zen­hau­sen

    Please file your application at the Citizens' Office in Witzenhausen.

    Stadtverwaltung Witzenhausen

    Am Markt 1
    37213 Witzenhausen

    Telephone +49 55 42 / 508 0
    E-mail address

    Office Hours:
    Mon 07:30 - 16:00;
    Tue 07:30 - 18:00;
    Wed 07:30 - 16:00;
    Thu 07:30 - 16:00;
    Fri 07:30 - 13:00

    • A copy of your passport (do not submit your original passport!)
    • Your rental agreement

    Your application will be forwarded to the Foreigners' Registration Office in Eschwege for processing (approx. 30 km from Witzenhausen). After about two weeks, you will receive notification by letter that your residence permit can be collected from the Foreigners' Registration Office in Eschwege.

    Ausländer- und Personenstandswesen
    Bremer Str. 10a
    37269 Eschwege

    Telephone +49 5651-302-3331 / 3330

    Office Hours:
    Mon - Fri 9:30 – 12:00
    Thu 14:00 – 17:00

    Now, you have two options:

    You authorise a tutor to collect your residence permit. You will need to provide him or her with your passport and a signed letter of authority for this. The tutor will then go to Eschwege to pick up your residence permit.

    If you need to apply for a new visa or extend your old one you have to go to Eschwege yourself.

    Do not forget to take your original passport with you and make sure you arrive within office hours. Outside the office hours, you can arrange a group appointment for several students to pick up their documents together.

    Getting to the Foreigners' Registration Office in Eschwege

    Take bus line 220 to "Friedrich-Wilhelm-Strasse" in Eschwege from Witzenhausen "Markt" station. The journey takes about an hour. Once you arrive there, continue along Schillerstrasse until you reach Bahnhofstrasse. The Foreigners' Registration Office is located next to a Lidl supermarket store. There is a sign reading "Zulassungsstelle" on the building.

    Alternatively, you can also take a train to Eschwege. If you have any questions, please contact one of your tutors.