- September until mid October: Pre-courses for some faculties
- 01.10.2018: Start of winter semester 2018
- 08. - 12.10.2018: Orientation week for international students
- Mid october: Introduction week
- 13.10.2018: Welcome breakfast
- 17.10.2018: Formal welcome of new students
- 18.10.2018: Official start of courses
- 25.10.2018: Workshop faire
- 15.12. - 06.02.2019: Re-registration for semester 2
- 15.02.2019: Last day of courses in winter semester
- 31.03.2019: Official end of winter semester 2018/19
Whether by bus, train, bicycle or on foot, you have a few possibilities to come to the university:
- Parking spaces: Around the Campus Holländischer Platz there are very few parking spaces in the surrounding streets (Hentschelstraße, Mönchebergstraße). Parking is also paid. You might be able to find free parking spaces on the surrounding streets.
- Train connections: The long-distance railway station is Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe. You can also reach Kassel main station via regional transport. You can find all train connections at www.bahn.de.
- Bicycle: Kassel has around 400 rental bicycles available at 56 stations, including the locations near Holländischer Platz, Menzelstraße, Heinrich-Plett-Straße and Wilhelmshöher Allee. The first 60 minutes are free for students of the University of Kassel. Further information at: https://www.nextbike.de/de/kassel/campusbike/
- Long-distance buses: Long-distance buses stop in Kassel at the Wilhelmshöhe bus/train station and at the P + R car park in Kassel-Ost.
- Airports: The closest airports are: Kassel-Calden, Frankfurt, Hannover and Paderborn. From Kassel-Calden, you can take a taxi or bus 130 to Kassel city center. The exact timetable is available on the website of the Kasseler Verkehrsgesellschaft. There are train connections to Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe from Frankfurt, Hanover and Paderborn.
- You can also use your semester ticket to attend pre-courses, but also to travel free of charge in Kassel and to get to a few cities nearby by regular trains (Not ICE – fast trains). the AStA has put together some information for you.
- Did you not receive your semester ticket on time?
- In Kassel, the central locations are Holländischer Platz, Wilhelmshöher Allee, Heinrich-Plett-Strasse, Menzelstraße (Arts faculty) and Aueparkhalle. There are two locations in Witzenhausen: Steinstraße and Nordbahnhofstraße. Further information
- Information desk "Information Studi: If you have any questions or problems concerning the beginning of your studies, the student assistants of the General Counseling Office will be pleased to help and advise you: Infotheke Studium, Moritzstr. 18 (Campus Center) on the 3rd floor.
- IT Service Centre: Support with creating a Uni Account, Internet connection at halls, etc. Mönchebergstr. 11, room 1740A
- Useful link: http://www.uni-kassel.de/its/neu-hier.html
- overview of all service facilities
As a rule, you arrange your timetable yourself according to the requirements of your module examination regulations. Information and support are available at the subject-specific introductory events. Example lesson plans can also be found in the module handbook of your examination regulations.
The library offers a wide range of support to help you get started with uni work. In addition to courses on databases, research or literature management, self-study videos are also available.
Dates and videos can be found here: http://www.uni-kassel.de/ub/benutzung-service/schulungen-fuehrungen.html
Every student is advised to own the Campus Card. It can be used both as a means of payment at the canteens and cafeterias on Holländischer Platz and in Heinrich-Plett-Straße as well as for printing and copying documents on campus. It also serves as an identity card for the university's departmental libraries. Tenants of student dormitories are also increasingly using the card as a payment card for washing machines and dryers.
More information about the Campus Card: https://www.uni-kassel.de/its-handbuch/identitaetsmanagement/campuscard/allgemeine-informationen.html
The uni account is the central access to the services of the University of Kassel. There is an email account and personal password associated with the uni account. Students need the uni account to create timetables or to register for exams. You need a uni account to log in to the internet at the dormitories and on campus too. It is basically essential to create a uni account straight upon your arrival. More information can be found here: http://www.uni-kassel.de/its-handbuch/identitaetsmanagement/uniaccount/freischaltungaktivierung.html
- Tutors are students of higher semesters, who have already taken the first major hurdle to their studies and, depending on the background of their experiences, give their undergraduates information and support for starting their studies. As part of the project, you will get to know other students from your own area as well as from other departments and thus have contacts with people from a few faculties.
- The study portfolio helps you to keep track of your studies while optimising your learning. More information is available here: https://www.uni-kassel.de/projekte/studien-portfolio/startseite.html
AStA (Der Allgemeine Studierendenausschuss) is the general student committee. It represents student interests on a political level and makes a contribution to student life with further education, counseling and cultural activities.
Every year, all members of the university elect their interest groups. Students choose the student parliament, the student members of the senate, the student councils, the student representatives on the faculty councils.
The student council
The student council consists of volunteer working students and represents the student interests in the department. As a selected student council member, you will be involved in the university committees, help organise student introductions and, in addition, learn a great deal about the university: