- Applications can be submitted throughout the whole year.
- Students of all faculties who would like to spend a period abroad until December 2023 can apply for a scholarship immediately and at any time, but no later than December 31, 2023.
Eligible Funding for:
- Study visits (NEW: 1 week - 6 months)
- Internships (NEW: 4 weeks - 6 months)
Submitting an application is only possible if an application in the Promos and Erasmus programs is not possible (e.g. because of the duration, the deadline or because the individual funding quota has been used up). If you meet the application requirements for the Promos or Erasmus program, a Shosta application is not possible.
The funding amount is based on the evaluation of your application by the selection committee.
Individual scholarships: max. 100 points can be achieved. Evaluation of the letter of motivation according to the 4-eyes-principle (maximum 45 points), study achievements (max. 45 points), social commitment (max. 10 points)
Depending on the funds raised and the number of applications, the Commission sets funding categories each year (see DAAD funding rates). The classification into the categories takes place according to achieved points and determines, how high your promotion is (eg travel expenses and / or part scholarship rate or pro rata partial scholarship rate).
Please note that the scholarship will be paid in one payment.
1. A selection committee chooses the recipients for scholarships. It decides on the type and amount of funding. Based on our experience, the best 10 percent of applications have a chance of receiving the maximum possible funding for their period of study abroad; the other applicants approved and classified as eligible for funding usually obtain funding for a shorter time than their actual period of study. In the light of rising numbers of applicants and only restricted funds available, not every application, however suitable, can be considered. There is therefore no entitlement to any funding.
2. Criteria for assessing applications:
- Excellent/good coursework (45 %)
- Statement of purpose/presentation of the project abroad (45 %)
- Social/civic involvement/studying with children (10 %)
- If you exceed the formal criteria (here: number of letters) and do not comply with a correction, this will result in a deduction of points: Up to 10%: no deduction | 10-30%: 10 points | from 30%: Application will not be accepted
3. If the number of SHOSTA applications is very high, the University of Kassel retains the right to provide funding for applicants for a shorter time than their actual period spent abroad in order to enable as many suitable applicants as possible to obtain funding.
4. If you are already receiving other scholarships or BAföG for your period of study abroad or intend to, please note the information in the “Leaflet for recipients of other funding benefits”.
5. Scholarship recipients are responsible for taking out suitable insurance to cover their period of study abroad.
6. Please note that SHOSTA funding provided by the University of Kassel does not cover the tuition fees.
We will be more than happy to answer your questions by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or personally during the consultation times at the International Office (Monday-Thirsday: 1 – 3 p.m.).