*** Application deadlines for the SHOSTA scholarship programme ***
1st application deadline: 15th of November (Funding period: stays from January - June)
2nd application deadline: 15th of June (Funding period: stays from June – December)
The following are funded:
1. Periods of study (1 - 4 weeks)
2. Internships (4 - 6 weeks)
Students from all the faculties at the University of Kassel:
- who are studying at a foreign partner university through an exchange programme organised by the University of Kassel (apart from ERASMUS+) or
- who have organised a period of study abroad themselves without an existing partnership programme (period of study abroad/internship abroad) and
- who have not yet made full use of their SHOSTA funding: 6 weeks during one period of study (Bachelor/Master/Diploma/Stat examination/PhD).
Eligible persons are those who:
a) have German citizenship.
b) are treated on equal terms with Germans in accordance with section 8 (1) 2 et seq., section 8 (2, 2a) and (3) BAföG.
- An examination to b) is possible: Please submit an application, your residence permit and Annex 1 of Form 1 to the International Office.
c) non-German students who are enrolled as a degree-seeking student at the University of Kassel
For persons described under b) and c) exchange to the home country is excluded (cf. DAAD).
SHOSTA funding period: periods of mobility fron January – December
All eligible stays abroad can be funded for the whole period of stay with a scholarship and/or a travel allowance when you hand in your application in due time, but before having finished your stay abroad. This means, that your stay abroad can be funded although you might already be abroad. Please note that one part of your stay abroad has to be in the period belonging to the respective application deadline.
Example: Stay abroad from May to July. It is possible to apply for the 2nd application deadline (15th of June) and the stay can completely be funded retrospectively. You may of course also apply for the first application deadline.
Please note: In order to obtain funding for periods of mobility beyond 31 December , the period of study abroad must have already started in 2018.
It is only possible to obtain funding for the period that serves the purpose of your stay; i.e. it is the time that you spend studying at your host institution or completing your internship. There is no funding for any periods before or after this (e.g. for travel). Please take note of this when indicating the period of your stay on the application form
a) Periods of study (1 week - max. 4 weeks)
It is possible to obtain funding for both short periods (e.g. to complete your dissertation work) or periods of study lasting at least 1 – 4 weeks.
The periods of study must include participation at study courses that are relevant for accreditation purposes. This particularly involves attending summer schools, block seminars or workshops at foreign universities where credit points can be gained. You must attach written confirmation of the accreditation of your academic performance achieved there to your application.
- The amount of the funding depends on the decision by the committee, the period of time spent and the rates set by the DAAD for your destination country (cf. the PROMOS country list).
- No funding is available for tuition fees.
Dissertations may attract funding under the following conditions:
- The period of study is justified for the completion of the dissertation.
- No regular courses are attended at a university.
- The faculty in question supports the project unreservedly (attach proof/a letter of recommendation from a university tutor).
b) Internship periods for students
Internships of at least 4 weeks and no longer than 6 weeks, which are organised by students themselves, can attract funding.
- The amount of funding depends on the decision by the committee, the period of time spent and the rates set by the DAAD for your destination country (cf. the PROMOS country list).
- For any funding for time spent on internships, it is necessary to provide confirmation from the internship institution or the internship agreement signed by both sides. The type of activity, the duration of the internship and any remuneration earned by the intern, if relevant, must be clearly stated.
Please avoid applying for PROMOS and SHOSTA scholarships for the same project abroad at the same time. You must decide which of the two scholarship programmes you wish to apply for. Double applications will not be considered.
Applicants for the period of study and internship programmes
Please send the following documents for you application in the indicated order via Emailin one document (PDF) to shosta[at]uni-kassel[dot]de.
- Letter of motivation
- Your CV in tabular form
- A current and personally signed HISPOS-printout. (Indication 1: Vordruck [PDF] for students wo study at the Kunsthochschule and where no ECTS are given / Indication 2: Master students have to submit additionally a copy of their Bachelor certificate/Indication 3: PhD-Students have to submit their last certificate)
- Current certificate of matriculation/PhD-confirmation
- A confirmation from the host institution about your acceptance (e.g. a copy of your admission letter at the host university, a signed internship contract
- References to your social commitment (if applicable)
- Only for dissertations that are not completed at a university or a company: a letter of recommendation from a university tutor and a detailed timetable.
Please note that only complete application forms can be considered.
The funding amount is based on the evaluation of your application by the selection committee.
Individual scholarships: max. 100 points can be achieved. Evaluation of the letter of motivation according to the 4-eyes-principle (maximum 45 points), study achievements (max. 45 points), social commitment (max. 10 points)
Depending on the funds raised and the number of applications, the Commission sets funding categories each year (see DAAD funding rates). The classification into the categories takes place according to achieved points and determines, how high your promotion is (eg travel expenses and / or part scholarship rate or pro rata partial scholarship rate).
Please note that the scholarship will be paid in one payment.
Before your stay abroad:
- Letter of Motivation
- Workshop Letter Motivation (only in German)
- Indication for students who study at Kunsthochschule
- Amount of funding (DAAD)
- Leaflet - Combination with other funding
After your stay abroad:
1. A selection committee chooses the recipients for scholarships. It decides on the type and amount of funding. Based on our experience, the best 10 percent of applications have a chance of receiving the maximum possible funding for their period of study abroad; the other applicants approved and classified as eligible for funding usually obtain funding for a shorter time than their actual period of study. In the light of rising numbers of applicants and only restricted funds available, not every application, however suitable, can be considered. There is therefore no entitlement to any funding.
2. Criteria for assessing applications:
- Excellent/good coursework
- Statement of purpose/presentation of the project abroad
- An existing knowledge of the language
- Social/civic involvement
3. If the number of SHOSTA applications is very high, the University of Kassel retains the right to provide funding for applicants for a shorter time than their actual period spent abroad in order to enable as many suitable applicants as possible to obtain funding.
4. If you are already receiving other scholarships or BAföG for your period of study abroad or intend to, please note the information in the “Leaflet for recipients of other funding benefits”.
5. Scholarship recipients are responsible for taking out suitable insurance to cover their period of study abroad.
6. Please note that SHOSTA funding provided by the University of Kassel does not cover the tuition fees.