Information for Refugees Interested in Studying at the University of Kassel


The city of Kassel has become a place of refuge for many people who have had to flee war, persecution, poverty and hopelessness during the past few months. As a centre of learning with an international appeal, the University of Kassel believes that it has a special responsibility towards these people. The University of Kassel views students from foreign countries as a source of enrichment and welcomes them to attend lectures and engage in research.

Apply now for a scholarship from the HessenFonds! The Application deadline is 31.01.2018

Admission Requirements for international applicants

Refugees - regardless of their residential status - can study at the University of Kassel if they meet the normal university entrance and admission requirements.

People interested in studying with foreign educational certificates must provide:

International student applicants must send their application for a university place to uni-assist, not the University of Kassel. uni-assist checks whether the international school leaving qualifications/university certificates meet the formal requirements for studying at a university in Germany. Two scenarios are possible for admission to a German university:

  • Scenario 1

If your higher education entrance qualifications are the equivalent of a German secondary school leaving certificate (Abitur), you can be directly admitted to the University of Kassel. Before you commence your studies, you have to pass the German Language Examination for University Students (DSH). If you have passed the TestDaF examination at level 4 in your home country (in the four sections required), you do not have to take the DSH examination. Please consult the TestDaF institute‘s web site for more details.

  • Scenario 2

If your higher education entrance qualifications are not fully equivalent, you can be indirectly admitted and will need to attend the one-year preparatory course (Studienkolleg) and pass the university entrance examination (Prüfung zur Feststellung der Hochschulreife).

You can check in advance on the ANABIN database whether your certificates entitle you to direct or indirect admission or whether you need to attend the one-year preparatory course.


You will find more detailed information on applying to the University of Kassel with foreign certificates in the section entitled Applying with foreign certificates

Information about applying to uni-assist

The University of Kassel has joined the uni-assist application service for international students. uni-assist processes international student applications on behalf of the University of Kassel and checks whether the applications contain all the required documents.

Deadlines for applications

winter semester

summer semester

General deadline

  15 July

 15 January

For the preparatory course before studies

  30 April

Teaching music/art/sport

  30 April

Art courses (fine arts, product design, visual communications)

  30 April

The documents that need to be submitted:

  • A completed and signed application form.
  • A national certificate that entitles you to study at a university in your home country
  • Certificates, transcripts of records or transcripts about your previous course at a university, if you have already studied 
  • A certificate of proficiency in the German language

 Uni-assist requires notarised photocopies and notarised German translations of certificates, instead of the original documents. You only have to submit these documents to uni-assist once, even if you are applying to several universities.  

Please note that the admission requirements for each study course may vary. Additional documents, e.g. proof of English language skills, a motivation letter or a letter of reference, may be necessary for certain courses. So please make sure that you are well-informed about the individual admission requirements for each course. We recommend that you submit your application at least six weeks before the deadline so that any unanswered questions can be clarified.

Please send your completed application documents to this address:

uni-assist e.V.

11507 Berlin


The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) makes funds available for a free assessment at uni-assist for refugees. Refugees can apply for cost exemption at uni-assist and then apply for up three uni-assist universities free of charge. Each additional application then costs EUR 15. You can request a free application for refugees online via the portal for cost exemption.

The following will help you complete your application successfully for uni-assist:


You will find more detailed information about the admission requirements and the application procedure at the site for international students and academics.

Applicants with incomplete documents or some missing


Some refugees may not be able to submit all the documents in order to prove that they are qualified for university admission. Discussions are currently taking place at different political levels to find alternatives for applicants with missing or incomplete documents and provide alternative ways to verify admission to the University of Kassel. We will inform you about alternative ways of admission on this site as soon as a watertight and suitable solution has been found. If you do not (yet) meet the formal requirements for admission, the guest student programme or registering with Kiron may be viable alternatives for you.Guest student Programme For Refugees

German Language Skills and Language Courses

An excellent knowledge of German is necessary for most courses and for reading the related specialist literature. Passing the following German examinations, for example, entitles you to study at the University of Kassel: DSH 2, TestDaF 4*4, Goethe certificate C2, telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule.

The International Study Centre (ISC)/Language Centre at the University of Kassel offers a preparatory language course to enable you to obtain the DSH. If you have passed the B2 level exam and can prove that you have attended 800 German lessons, you have the opportunity of attending a 13-week course to prepare you for the DSH examination. If you have passed the C1 level exam and can prove that you have attended 1000 German lessons, you can take the external DSH examination. Please note that access to the DSH examination at the University of Kassel is only possible in conjunction with restricted admission to study – i.e. after you have successfully applied to uni-assist. You can find information about the individual courses, dates and entry requirements on the website of the German Language Examination for University Students (DSH).  Due to the very high demand for the DSH courses at the University of Kassel, we recommend that you consider other DSH examination centres and dates elsewhere in Germany too.

If you are interested in the TestDAF examination as an alternative to the DSH exams, you can find all the relevant information about examination centres and dates on the website of the TestDAF institute. The number of places is restricted, so we recommend that you register for the TestDAF examination early!