Ap­plic­a­tion with for­eign cer­ti­fic­ates

  1. 1. uni-as­sist

    •  I need to find out about the application procedure at the uni-assist website: “How to apply

    • If necessary, I need to watch the webinars on the application procedure via uni-assist.

    If you are a prospective student (including Germans and EU citizens) with a first professional qualification from abroad, you must always apply via uni-assist. uni-assist is the German service point for international student applications and it processes them.

    Uploading the documents in the uni-assist portal is the first step. The application is only complete when you transfer the application fee afterwards.

    The application process is completely online. Please do not send any documents by mail to uni-assist. 

  2. 2. Doc­u­ments

    • I will find out which documents are required on the home page of the degree course.
    • I will check the country information on the uni-assist website: country notes.
    • I will read the uni-assist information about official certification and notarised translations: Certification and translations.
    • I will have the documents that I need to submit translated into German or English
    • I will obtain officially certified copies of certificates and translations.
    • I will make digital copies of the original documents and certificates.
  3. 3. Ap­plic­a­­tion

    • The application will first be formally examined: Have all documents been submitted? Are the formal requirements met?

    • Upon completion of the formal examination, the application is forwarded to the examination board of your chosen degree programme.

    • In the next step, the examination board checks whether the substantive requirements for admission are also met. The examination board decides on the equivalence of the subject matter, the acknowledgement of previous performance, it decides on admission and rejection and, if necessary, imposes conditions regarding content.

    • The examination board reports the result back to the Master's Office digitally.

    • Should it be discovered in the course of the procedure that documents are missing, the applicants will be informed of this by email. The email will state the deadline for submission.

    • Depending on the Master's programme, it may take up to six weeks before you receive the result. Please refrain from making any enquiries during this period.

  4. 4. Pro­ced­ure

    • I wait for the results of the uni-assist test and, if necessary, I will submit further documents.

    uni-assist checks whether you meet the formal requirements for starting to study at the University of Kassel. You will receive the results by e-mail and by post after about 4-6 weeks. If you have met the formal requirements, your data will be forwarded to the University of Kassel. 

    If you do not meet the requirements for starting to study, your documents will not be forwarded to the University of Kassel. 

    Procedure once the University of Kassel has received your documents
    The application will first be formally examined. Have all the documents been submitted? Have the formal requirements been met?

    Applicants will be sent an e-mail informing them about any missing documents if this becomes apparent during the ongoing procedure. The e-mail will specify a deadline for submitting any such documents. 

    Depending on the degree course, it may take up to six weeks until you receive your results. Please refrain from making any enquiries during this period.

  5. 5. Ac­­cept­ance and visa

    • I receive a positive response from the University of Kassel by post and by e-mail.

      • If necessary, I have to submit additional documents.
    • Do I need a visa? If so, I can use the positive response and apply for it at the German embassy or a German consulate in my home country. To apply for a visa, I need the positive response from the University of Kassel, proof of funding for my studies and evidence of health insurance.
    1. Prospective students from EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland generally do not need an entry visa. An identity card is normally sufficient to enter Germany.
    2. Prospective students from all other non-EU countries need a visa to enter Germany. You should apply for this as early as possible at the German Embassy or a German Consulate in your home country or country of residence. If your spouse or children are accompanying you during your stay, it is advisable to submit the applications for you and your family members at the same time - even if your family travels to Germany a few weeks after you. Detailed information on obtaining a visa
    3. Prospective students from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the USA do not require a visa to enter Germany. If you are staying longer than three months, however, you will need a residence permit. You can apply for this at the relevant aliens’ office after you have arrived in Germany.

    You will find more information about making preparations in your home country here: Welcome Centre - Preparations in your home country