Provid­ing evid­ence of know­ing the lan­guage for courses in Eng­lish or Eng­lish or Amer­ican stud­ies

This page contains automatically translated content.

Any students, who apply for a place on one of the joint degree options (bachelor’s degree or teaching degree) in English or English or American studies, must prove that they have the necessary knowledge of the language.

  • English and American Culture and Business Studies / Anglistik, Amerikanistik und Wirtschaftswissenschaften
  • Bachelor's degree program English and American Studies / Anglistik und Amerikanistik
  • Partial courses of study in English for the teaching professions at elementary schools, secondary schools and grammar schools
  • English as a teaching subject in the Bachelor's program in Business and Human Resource Education
  • English as a teaching subject in the Bachelor's program in Vocational Education (Metal Technology/Electrical Technology/Health)
  • Minor in English and American Studies / Anglistik und Amerikanistik
  • Bachelor's degree program in International Language and Cultural Education / Elective Subject English

What counts as evid­ence of know­ing the lan­guage?

The following prove that you have the necessary knowledge of the language.


The German university entrance qualification, if

  • English was either a main subjectduring the last four semesters before the exams and you gained at least 10 points on average or
  • if this examination certificate was issued no longer than two years before you enrolled for the English degree course (a certificate from 2020, for example, is enough for enrolment in 2022). It is not possible to prove this by passing the exams for the advanced vocational certificate of education (Fachabitur).


the certificate of one of the following internationally recognized language examinations, to be submitted with enrollment
language examinations (these language examinations must also not be older than 2 years):

  • International English Language Testing System IELTS Academic oder Online: at least 6.5 with a minimum of 6 in the writing section
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT: at least 90 points, with at least 22 points in the writing section
  • Cambridge English C1 Advanced: at least grade C

Exception: The proof of language competence is not required for applicants who enroll for a maximum of two semesters in Kassel as exchange students of one of the partner universities of the Department of Humanities and Cultural Studies.

Lateral entry: Students who have already studied English or English or American Studies at another German university should contact Ms. Dancy (fiona.dancy[at]uni-kassel[dot]de) as early as possible to clarify whether and, if so, in what form they still have to provide proof of sufficient English language proficiency.

Where can I find out more about the tests?

Information about test requirements, test centers, prices and dates can be found on the websites of the test providers

There is now a test center for the IELTS test at the University of Kassel. Test. Under the following link you will find the test dates and other helpful information:

More test centers nearby

The open Cambridge exam center at the Theodor-Heuss-Schule in Baunatal has now closed permanently. Information about Cambridge exam locations in Hesse can be found at the following link:

Please note:
Make every effort to schedule a test appointment early (several months before enrollment). Some appointments may be in high demand, and after all, you will not get the result immediately. Use the practice material offered on the specified websites or in the university library to check and improve your language skills. Taking a language test without the required language skills is not advisable and causes unnecessary costs. If the Abitur grade is not sufficient or the school years are too long ago, it is unlikely that the language test to prove the required language competence can be passed without preparation.


No. The Articles of Association require at least 10 points. 9.75 is therefore not sufficient.

Unfortunately, the English grade in the Fachabitur can NOT be considered as proof of your language competence. Therefore, you still need to take a language test that we recognize.

No. Only the conditions mentioned in the statutes apply. You must either meet the high school graduation requirements or take one of the three named language tests. There are no exceptions.

Yes, you still have to prove your language competence by taking a language test if you want to enroll in the subject English or English or American Studies in Kassel.

Unfortunately no, you must meet the entry requirements for English / English Studies /American Studies and be enrolled in the subject before you can attend classes.

Master's degree programs

We require proof of language again when ...

... Your Bachelor's degree is older than two years.

... You have completed your Bachelor's degree at a foreign university.

... You have completed your Bachelor's degree at a German university, but not in English / English Studies / American Studies.

... you have completed your Bachelor's degree in English / Anglistics / American Studies at a German university, but cannot prove the required average language practice grade.

The proof is provided by:

British Council IELTS (International English Language Testing System), Academic Modules, rated at least "Band Score 7.5 with at least 7.0 in Writing."

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), scored at least 100 points overall, and at least 25 points in Writing in the Internet-Based Test (iBT)

Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE) minimum graded C or Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE) graded A.

For more information, please visit the providers' websites:

Who can help me?

Please read carefully the information given above about the admission requirements in English. The Registrar's Office will provide information about the deadlines that must be met. If you are a transfer student within Germany, please contact Ms. Dancy (fiona.dancy[at]uni-kassel[dot]de).