Application with a foreign certificate
Please make sure to add the following documents to your application:
- The school certificate that entitles you to study at a university in your home country.
- Applicants from China, Mongolia or Vietnam have to provide an APS certificate.
- The degree of your current university.
- Transcript of records including your grades of your prior and/or current studies at a university.
- For an English taught Master's programme please submit certificates of English language skills on the required level C1 and according to the Common European Framework (CEF).
- Depending on the master programme, further documents might be necessary, i.e.: curriculum vitae, reference letters, letter of motivation, additional documents. To learn more about additional documents for application please see the section Admission reqirements on this website.
- Please make sure to hand in two sets of your documents at uni-assist: 1st authenticated copies in the original language, 2nd authenticated copies in a translated version (German or English). Please make sure to not hand in original documents since they will not be returned to you!
Uploaded documents at uni-assist will not be taken into consideration until the complete application set is send via postmail.
After submitting your general personal data, you will receive a link via e-mail to activate your account and start your online application.
- Please fill in the form about the applicant's data ("Bewerberdaten") first, before you go to the applications ("Anträge") and fill in your choice(s) of study. Please make sure to answer the further questions "weitere Frage" regarding each of your choices of study.
- Complete your application by printing out your documents for the application as well as for each of your choices of study. Sign the printed out documents and send them to uni-assist with the required certificates.
- Submit your online data via the submit-button ("Antrag elektronisch übermitteln"). In case you want to change your data after submitting your application you need to contact uni-assist directly.
- Pay the service fee to uni-assist. Unless the payment is booked on the bank account of uni-assist your application will not be processed and forwarded to the University of Kassel.
Please note: Incomplete application sets and applications handed in at uni-assist after the application deadline not be taken into consideration.
uni-assist evaluates your application with regard to formal admission criteria given of the University of Kassel (i.e. GPA, German language knowledge, etc.).
a. If documents / certificates for pre-evaluating your application set are required, you will be contacted by uni-assist. Please note the additional deadline to hand in those documents.
b. If you do not meet the formal criteria of the University of Kassel or your previous studies are not acknowledged in Germany, uni-assist will inform you via email. Your documents will not be forwarded to the University of Kassel. An admission is not possible.If you meet the formal requirements uni-assist forwards your data to the University of Kassel. You will be informed via email about this procedure.
You may now start your Visa application. The University of Kassel will provide you with a letter for your Visa application. Please contact the Master’s office. However, this letter is no admission confirmation. Its purpose is to help you with an early visa application.
- The admission board of the Master programme now evaluates your eligibility with regard to your previous studies and study content.
- You will be informed about the admission or disaffirmation via email by the Master’s office. Please read the admission letter carefully since it contains enrollment information. The evaluation of your application set by uni-assist and the University of Kassel takes up to 6 weeks. It is in your interest to apply as early as possible to ensure your arrival in Germany prior to the beginning of the semester.
- In case further documents for pre-evaluating your application set are required, you will be contacted by uni-assist. If you do not meet the formal criteria of the University of Kassel, uni-assist will inform you directly. Your documents will not be forwarded to the University of Kassel.
- Uni-assist will keep your documents saved for four years as data package. Documents will only be forwarded to the university of your choice. After those four years, your documents will be deleted.
- It is not possible to return the certificates, however. In case you wish to apply for another programme at the University of Kassel you would have to apply once more with a complete set of documents.
You received an admission letter from the University of Kassel? You successfully applied for your Visa? Now it is time to get registered as an official student at the University of Kassel. Therefore, please follow these steps:
Please contact the faculty of your Master’s programme to confirm your participation in the programme. Once you arrive in Kassel compulsory first steps are the Residence registration, opening a bank account and contacting a public health insurance.
- After opening a bank account and signing the contract with a health insurance, please visit the Master’s office. Our office hours are Monday to Thursday 13:00 - 15:00 pm.
- Please bring along the enrolment application (see the following link) as well as a proof of your public health insurance in Germany and a copy of your admission letter. Application for enrolment (Einschreibantrag)
- The Master’s office needs about 2 to 5 days to process your enrollment. You will receive a letter confirming your enrollment to your German address. The letter contains detailed information on how to transfer the semester fee.
- You need to transfer the semester fee within two weeks after receiving the enrollment information. Otherwise, your seat will be given to another applicant and an enrollment is no longer possible.
- As soon as your semester fee is booked on the bank account of the University of Kassel, you will receive your student papers including the semester ticket for public transportation via postal mail. Please make sure that your name is written on your letter box.
- Finally, please visit the following websites to find more information on how to organize your stay in Kassel and how to get prepared. It is also highly recommended to register for the Orientation Week to help you get acquainted with the Campus and your studies: orientation-week
Since the above mentioned procedures might take up to 14 days, you are kindly asked to arrive in Kassel prior to 1 April for summer semester intake or 1 October for winter semester intake. Otherwise, it is doubtful that you receive your semester ticket on time to already use it with the beginning of April or October.
For formal questions regarding the application procedure, your application set or additional documents, please write to the Master’s office: masterstudium[at]uni-kassel[dot]de If already available, please name your application number!
- If you have any questions about the application procedure, your application or the application documents, please contact the master’s degree office: masterstudium[at]uni-kassel[dot]de. If you already have an applicant’s number, please make sure that you quote this in your e-mail.
- If you have any questions about the course structure and the course content of a master’s degree course, please contact the subject-specific information and advice department for the relevant master’s degree course.
- If you have technical problems, please use the uni-assist contact form: uni-assist contact form.