Application with a German certificate
- Is the application already possible?
Since the application deadlines vary depending on the choice of course, please visit the homepage to learn more about the application period.
- Get hold of the necessary documents.
Which documents do I need for my application?
- An officially certified copy of your certificate confirming your higher education entrance qualification.
- An officially certified copy of your first higher education degree that qualifies you for your profession (e.g. bachelor’s degree, Diplom I, state examination)
If you do not yet have a bachelor’s degree certificate at the time when you apply, please submit the following evidence:
- Provisional subject and grade summaries for your current course and
- the written confirmation of your performance in your studies, which must be completed and signed by your current examinations office.
- Proof of English language knowledge see above
- Statement of objectives (= letter of motivation)
- Proof of one year of working experience
- Two recommendation letters
- Use a desktop PC or a laptop. The online application is not suitable for smartphones.
- Have access to the certificates so that you can transfer the data for your online application.
Open the website of the master’s degree application portal:
Complete the application:
- Select the master’s degree course that your wish to study in the online application.
- Complete the following pages. If things are unclear, read the help texts next to the questions.
- Print the application at the end and then submit the online version in digital form.
Submit your application:
- Hand in the printed and signed application together with the documents that are required by post or in person at the University of Kassel’s student affairs office:
- Studierendensekretariat -
- Only applications submitted according to the application procedure can be considered.
- The application must be submitted within the deadline (at the latest 3 days after the expiry of the application period). Otherwise, your application will not be taken into consideration.
- You may only specify one course that you wish to study on each application. If you are interested in several master’s degree courses, you must complete the procedure again. (In this case, you only need to refer to copies of the certificates that have already been submitted.)
- As soon as your application has arrived at the student affairs office, you will receive a digital confirmation of receipt with your access data for the online portal (if you have activated your anti-spam protection, please check your spam folder too)
Your application will first be formally checked. Have all the documents been submitted? Are all the formal conditions met?
Once the formal checks have been completed, the application will be forwarded to the examining board of your preferred degree course.
The examining board will then check whether all the conditions for acceptance are met as regards content. The examining board will decide about whether they are equivalent in content, whether to recognise work that has been performed so far and decide whether to accept or reject your application or make it dependent on certain content requirements.
The examining board will register the results to the master’s degree office in digital form.
If it is discovered during the course of the procedure that documents are missing, applicants will be informed about this by e-mail. An extended submission deadline will be specified in the e-mail.
Depending on the master’s degree course, it may take up to six weeks until you receive your result.
Please refrain from making any enquiries during this time.
- Transfer the semester fees.
Fees are incurred each semester for your course (contribution to administration expenses, the student services organisation, your semester ticket, the General Students’ Committee [AStA]). You will find the exact amount, the payment deadline and the details for making the bank transfer in the acceptance and enrolment letter. You will find more information here too: Semester fees
- Your CampusCard will be sent to you by post.
The CampusCard is your student ID for the entire length of your course. It is also your semester ticket and has other functions too: your library ID, culture ticket, payment card at refectories, copying card etc. You can obtain more information here: CampusCard
- If you are accepted, you will be informed by e-mail in advance and enrolled for the master’s degree course of your choice.
- The acceptance and enrolment letter may require you to submit documents that are missing and transfer the semester fee to the specified account.
- In case of a rejection of admission, disaffirmations will only be send by post.
- Find out about funding opportunities.
There is information about student funding here: Funding
- Look for a place to live.
There is information about the student residence market in Kassel and Witzenhausen here: Living quarters
- Find out more at the “Introduction and start of studies – important dates” subpage.
- Attend the introductory eventsduring the first week of the semester (before the regular units of study start) and discover more about the timetables there.
The introductory events provide answers to the central questions about the structure of the course. There are tips and suggestions related to organising your studies and the course sequence. The timetables are prepared at this time too. And you will get to know your future fellow students and the campus: So, do not miss out!
This will take you to the semester times at the University of Kassel: Semester and units of instruction times