MoveOn - Mobility for the future
International Summer School on Sustainable Mobility
Venue: University of Cape Coast, Ghana
Dates: October 9th - 15th, 2022
Impressions of the MoveOn-Summer School
Are you interested in an interdisciplinary and collaborative learning on sustainable mobility?
The University of Kassel, Germany, and the University of Cape Coast, Ghana, are jointly organizing an international summer school for young researchers, academia and practitioners from Sub-Saharan African countries. The MoveOn International Summer School will be hosted in person from October 9th till 15th, 2022 on the campus of the University of Cape Coast. An additional virtual introductory and follow-up meetings are included.
About the MoveOn Summer School
This summer school is an interdisciplinary program aiming to explore the challenges and the potential of sustainable mobility in Sub-Saharan Africa. It applies international expertise, coupled with local perspectives, to address the key topics through innovative system thinking. We invite you to exchange with other summer school participants from different disciplines, countries and cultures on sustainable mobility. The program consists of lecture sessions from international and national experts, participatory workshops in interdisciplinary research groups and some fieldwork.
In order to ensure effective teamwork and collaborative research projects, the summer school will take place in-person with accommodation provided for all participants during the period of the program. Other educative and interactive social events will be incorporated in the program. Travel expenses of the participants can fully or partly be covered on an individual basis. Supporting childcare on place can be arranged if needed.
With the focus on sustaining active mobility in Africa and the promotion of a sustainable mobility system worldwide, it is significant to explore the opportunities of knowledge transfer and exchange on relevant topics, methodologies and practices in research and academia.
The MoveOn Summer School is highly practice-oriented and has a multidisciplinary focus on safe and sustainable mobility. It provides a comprehensive platform that allows for an interdisciplinary and collaborative engagement with researchers and practitioners on highly relevant research areas on sustainable mobility, which require urgent need of exploration. It also gives an opportunity for young researchers from Sub-Saharan Africa to discuss their research areas, challenges and ideas as well as to strengthen their methodological and practical skills.
Key questions to be addressed in the MoveOn Summer School
- What are the key challenges today in moving towards a more sustainable mobility system?
- How does research contribute to the development of a sustainable mobility system?
- What are the ethical, social and legal policies that support sustainable mobility systems?
- What are the knowledge gaps between research and practice to implement sustainable mobility systems?
- What are the transitional steps required for the implementation of sustainable mobility systems?
Who should apply?
The MoveOn Summer School is designed for young researchers (both graduate and postgraduate students), academia and other external parties from Sub-Saharan African countries interested in the field of sustainable mobility.
We are looking forward to applications from master students, recent graduates, PhD students and postdoc researchers from Sub-Saharan African countries interested in the field of sustainable mobility.
- We are encouraging graduates and professionals from transportation planning and engineering, urban planning, urban design, architecture, transport geography, social sciences and other relevant disciplines to apply
- Females as well as applicants without previous international experience are especially encouraged to apply
- It is expected that participants have a sufficient command of English Language to actively participate in discussions and research project work
- Young researcher, academia and/or practitioner with an interest in sustainable mobility ,
- Availability for the full-time in-person participation during the MoveOn Summer School,
- High motivation expressed in a letter of movation
- Good command of English
- Letter of Motivation (max. 1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV, max. 2 pages)
The application process is organized in two steps.
- In the first step, to express the interest to participate in the MoveOn Summer School, please fill in the application form at this page below.
- You will receive an email confirming the receipt of your expression of interest and requesting to submit the application documents.
- In the second step, please submit the required documents (letter of motivation (max. 1 page) and CV (max. 2 pages)) per e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application period has ended (on the 18th of July 2022). Thank you for your interest and application!
Successful applicants will be notified by beginning of September 2022.
We are looking forward to welcome you at the MoveOn Summer School in October 2022 at the University of Cape Coast, Ghana.
For any specific questions on the programme, please reach out to:
- Yana Tumakova, University of Kassel: email@example.com
- Manuel Nii Martey Mensah, University of Cape Coast: firstname.lastname@example.org
The MoveOn Summer School is funded by the Volkswagen Foundation.