Prof. Dr. Frank Lipowsky
Professor, Section: Empirical Research on Schools and Teaching
- Nora-Platiel-Straße 1
- Nora-Platiel 1, Raum 1211
Education at school and seminary
4/1985-7/1989: Studies at the University of Education in Heidelberg with a focus on elementary school.
2/1990-7/1991: Preparatory service at the State Seminar for Practical School Training in Bad Mergentheim and at the Elementary and Secondary School in Weikersheim.
4/1995-6/1997: Diploma in Education at the University of Education in Heidelberg. Title of the diploma thesis: Open learning situations in primary school lessons. An empirical study on the use of learning time by elementary school students with different levels of concentration. Frankfurt: Peter Lang.
7/1999-6/2003: Dissertation project at the PH Heidelberg within the project "Wege in den Beruf". Title of dissertation: Wege von der Hochschule in den Beruf - Eine empirische Studie zum beruflichen Erfolg von Lehramtsabsolventen in der Berufseinstiegsphase. Bad Heilbrunn: Klinkhardt.
9/1991-7/1994: Class and subject teacher at the Weygangschule (Hauptschule) in Öhringen.
2/1993-6/1994: Assistant lecturer for mathematics at the State Seminar for Practical School Training in Bad Mergentheim.
8/1994-12/1994: Part-time job as a freelancer in the children's and youth book department of the Bibliographisches Institut & F.A. Brockhaus AG, Mannheim.
8/1994-2/1995: Class and subject teacher at the Käfertal School in Mannheim.
3/1995-8/1998: Research assistant at the Heidelberg University of Education, Faculty I, Elementary School Pedagogy.
9/1998-7/2002: Research assistant at the Heidelberg University of Education, Faculty I, Department of Sociology.
from 7/2002: Research associate at the German Institute for International Educational Research (DIPF) in Frankfurt, Department: Educational Quality and Evaluation.
From 10/2006: Professor of Educational Science at the University of Kassel.
- German Society for Educational Science (DGfE)
- Society for Didactics of Mathematics (GDM)
- German Society for Psychology (DGPS)
- Society for Empirical Educational Research (GEBF)
- Executive Director of the Center for Empirical Research on Teaching and Learning (ZELL)
- Chair of the Module Examination Committee for the Master's program in Empirical Educational Research
- Member of the Core Studies Unit
- PRONET²: Co-leadership and member of the steering group
- PRONET²: Head of the two innovation units II and IV
- PRONET-D: Member of the steering group
- Member of the Council and the Board of the Graduate Academy
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Center for Teacher Education Mathematics (DZLM)
- Member of the jury of the German School Award
- Reviewer for the journal "Learning and Instruction
- Reviewer for the DFG Priority Program "Educational Quality of Schools" (BIQUA)
- Reviewer for the journal "Unterrichtswissenschaft
- Reviewer for the "Zeitschrift für Grundschulforschung" (Journal of Elementary School Research)
- Reviewer for the "Zeitschrift für Pädagogische Psychologie" (Journal of Educational Psychology)
- Reviewer for the journal "International Journal of Educational Research
- Reviewer for the "Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft" (Journal of Educational Science)
- Reviewer for the "Journal for Educational Research (online)
- Reviewer for the journal "Beiträge zur Lehrerbildung" (contributions to teacher education)
- Reviewer for the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Reviewer for the Directorate of the Universities of Teacher Education Central Switzerland
- Reviewer of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
- Reviewer for the Austrian Federal Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture
- Reviewer for the journal "Journal für Mathematikdidaktik
- Reviewer for the journal "Contributions to Teacher Education
- Reviewer for the journal "Lehrerbildung auf dem Prüfstand" (Teacher Education on the Test Stand)
- Reviewer for the "Zeitschrift für Bildungsforschung" (Journal of Educational Research)
- Reviewer for the Swiss National Science Foundation
- Reviewer for the journal "Psychologie in Erziehung und Unterricht" (Psychology in Education and Teaching)
Lipowsky, F., Böhnert, A., Nemeth, L. & Hirstein, A. (2022). Making cooperative learning visible in instructional videos - A seminar concept for developing student teachers' professional perceptions. In J. Klusmeyer & D. Bosse (Eds.), Concepts of reflexive practice studies in teacher*instruction (pp. 115-152). Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
Rzejak, D., Marek, L. & Lipowsky, F. (2022).Video portals in teacher:ing education: An overview of existing offerings.. University of Kassel.
Bleck, V. & Lipowsky, F. (2021). Cooperative learning - Theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and implications for implementation. In T. Hascher, T-S. Idel & W. Helsper (Eds.), Handbook of school research . Heidelberg: Springer.
Gabriel-Busse, K. & Lipowsky, F. (2021). 90 minutes of mathematics instruction while maintaining instructional quality?- Analyses of the stability over time of basic dimensions of instructional quality in the 2nd grade. Instructional Science, 49, 137-163.
Lipowsky, F. & Rzejak, D. (2021). Designing teacher in-service training effectively. A practice-oriented and research-based guide.. Gütersloh: Bertelsmann Foundation.
Lipowsky, F., Reusser, K. & Pauli, C. (2021). Designing instructional conversations in a cognitively activating way.PEDAGOGY, 73(11), 17-23.
Nemeth, L., Werker, K., Arend, J. & Lipowsky, F. (2021). Fostering the acquisition of subtraction strategies with interleaved practice: An intervention study with German third graders. Learning and Instruction, 71, 101354.
Reusser, K., Lipowsky, F. & Pauli, C. (2021). Designing a cognitively activating learning environment. PEDAGOGY, 73(11), 8-13.
Theurer, C., Bleck, V., Deistler, K. & Lipowsky, F. (2021). Motivated to start, successful to finish? - Predictive power of study choice motivation for grades in teacher education.Journal of educational psychology, 1-14 .
Bleck, V. & Lipowsky, F. (2020). Dull; useless, distant from practice? How does the evaluation of scientific course content change in school internships? In I. Ulrich & A. Gröschner (Eds.), Practical semesters in teacher training programs in Germany: effects on students.(S. 97-112). (Edition Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft, Vol. 9). Berlin: Springer.
Fischer, N., Heinzel, F., Lipowsky, F. & Züchner, I. (2020). Children and adolescents in the Corona crisis: challenges and possible approaches for educational and political action. Requested statement for a scientific circle of advisors* at the Federal Ministry of the Interior.
Heinze, A., Grüßing, M., Arend, J. & Lipowsky, F. (2020). Fostering children's adaptive use of mental arithmetic strategies: A comparison of two instructional approaches. Journal of Mathematics Education, 13(1), 18-34.
Lipowsky, F. (2020). Instruction. In E. Wild & J. Möller (Eds.), Educational psychology (3rd rev. ed., pp. 69-118). Heidelberg: Springer.
Osterberg, J., Bleck, V., Malai, D., Meier, M. & Lipowsky, F. (2020). How did student teachers at the University of Kassel experience the change from face-to-face to online teaching? - Results from PRONET-D. University of Kassel.
Hess, M., Denn, A.-K. & Lipowsky, F. (Eds.). (2019). Technical report on the PERLE video studies. Volume 2. observation systems for the description and quality of elementary school teaching. (Materials on educational research, 23/4). Frankfurt am Main: Society for the Promotion of Educational Research (GFPF).
Lipowsky, F. & Hess, M. (2019). Why making learning harder can sometimes be helpful - Cognitive activation and the power of comparison. In K. Schöppe & F. Schulz (Eds.), Creativity & education - Sustainable learning (pp. 77-132).Munich: kopaed.
Nemeth, L., Werker, K., Arend, J., Vogel, S. & Lipowsky, F. (2019). Interleaved learning in elementary school mathematics: Effects on the flexible and adaptive use of subtraction strategies.Frontiers in Psychology 10, 86.
Heinze, A., Arend, J., Grüßing, M. & Lipowsky, F. (2018). Instructional approaches to foster third graders' adaptive use of strategies - An experimental study on the effects of two learning environments on multi-digit addition and subtraction. Instructional Science, 46(6), 869-891.
Lipowsky, F., Stubbe, T., Theurer, C. & Faust, G. (2018). Who is ahead at the end of elementary school? - Student achievement trends in private BIP creative elementary schools and public elementary schools. Journal of Educational Science, 21(5), 897-927.