Hints for online exams
In principle, there are many online options for offering examinations to students, including
- Student working papers (as with classroom teaching)
- Presentations: possible as recorded or commented slides e.g. in Powerpoint or Talks within video conferences
- Exercises/examination tasks that have to be completed during the course: this promotes the regular occupation of the students with the learning contents. We recommend that answers to these questions can be rewarded with bonus points of 10-20% of the final grade.
Oral online exams: please note the special instructions of the University of Kassel on how to conduct them.
Regulations for oral exams via video conference
- All participants concerned agree with this form of examination. The candidate must agree to take an oral examination via video conference and to have data sent by e-mail.
- There is no legal claim to the performance of a digitally supported examination.
- The video conference is organised and administered by the examiner.
- The video conference must be conducted via a secure service of DFN, or WebEx.
- Participants of the conference are: examinee, all examiners, if applicable assessors, secretary, if applicable public participants (muted).
- If a video conference is held for the purpose of an oral examination, the identity of the examinee can be established by means of a video image and showing the official ID document and the student ID.
- The examinee must give an oral assurance that he/she is alone in the room and has no unauthorised aids at his/her disposal.
- Purely telephone examination conferences are not possible.
- In the event that the examination has to be cancelled for technical reasons, the examination will be considered as not taken. This is determined by the examiner or chairman of the examination board.
- Examination protocol: An examination protocol must be drawn up according to the usual rules.
- Video recording is not permitted.
- The grade is discussed without the examinee.
- The explanation of the examination assessment / announcement of the grade to the candidate is made orally in the video conference.
- If the candidate fails the oral examination in B.Sc. and M.Sc. examinations, the candidate confirms orally in the conference that the assessment has been explained to him/her.
- The minutes can either be shown in the video conference or announced by e-mail.
- Special case of oral final colloquium: The intended presentation will be sent to the examiners* in advance by e-mail.