Pre-Semester German Courses for International and Exchange / Erasmus Students
Registration for the pre-courses is possible from the 29.01.2024.
The courses are primarily designed for exchange and international students at the University of Kassel, who will begin their studies.
The courses will take place in summer semester 2024 from Tuesday, 02.04.2024, to Tuesday, 09.04.2024, in the mornings, with an average of 6 lessons (40 lessons in total). There will be no classes on Sunday, 07.04.2024. You will receive all further information about the courses after your binding registration shortly before the course starts.
The course levels, A1, A2 and B1 offer participants the opportunity to improve their German and to prepare for their stay at the University of Kassel before the start of the semester, while also gaining new insights on student life in Germany and having the opportunity to meet interesting people.
The courses comprise of 40 lessons, which are 45 minutes each in the classroom and on excursions, plus additional preparation and follow-up work at home. All skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) are trained during the course, with particular focus on oral communication. Intensive practice in typical everyday communication situations in Germany and at a German university is provided.
Regular attendance of at least 75% and active participation is required. The course ends with an oral and written exam.
Successful participants receive a certificate of participation with 4 ECTS credits and a grade. A certificate of participation entitles you to register for a semester-long German course at the same level.
A level certificate is not associated with the course.
Your course registration is legally binding. The obligation to pay is independent of course attendance. Withdrawal from the course is only possible before the course start. This can only be done in writing via the Language Center website (form: Course Withdrawal ). Your registration is not officially canceled until you receive written confirmation by email. It is not possible under any circumstances to cancel your registration with the instructor or coordinator.
If you have outstanding payments to the Language Centre, you will not receive any course certificates or ECTS credits, nor will you be able to register for any further courses.
Once you have registered, you will receive an automatically generated confirmation of registration by e-mail.
Please note the new regulations regarding the protection of your personal data.
During the semester, further language courses from levels A1 - C1 awarding 8 ECTS are also available. Registration for these courses is not yet possible. Please refer to the Language Center website for registration dates.
International Students of the University: 80 € with possible additional costs of up to 15 € for individual teaching material purchases. If teaching materials are provided by the language center, the course fee increases according to cost price.
Staff members of the University: 80 € with possible additional costs of up to 15 € for individual teaching material purchases. If teaching materials are provided by the language center, the course fee increases according to cost price.
External guests: (only if spare places are available): 208 € with possible additional costs of up to 15 € for individual teaching material purchases. If teaching materials are provided by the language center, the course fee increases according to cost price.
Registration for the Pre-semester Courses
The registration period for the pre-courses of SS 2024 starts on Monday, 29.01.2024, and ends on Friday, 15.03.2024. Course space is limited, so courses may be fully booked before the registration period end.
Step by Step Guide
1. Click on the contact form below that applies to you.
2. Fill in the contact form and upload all the required documents (please see below 3.).
3. Please take a placement test and attach the result as a PDF file or scan to the required documents.
4. Within the folllowing days after your submission, you will receive a link to the course registration page and a registration code which you will need when you register. The link and the code are assigned to your name and can only be used once; please do not pass them on to anyone else. If you attend the course free of charge, but do not actively attend or successfully complete the course, you can no longer take advantage of other free courses offered by the Language Centre free of charge during the semester.
5. After registering for the course, you will receive a link to pay for the course directly via PayPal. Course participants, who register in countries not using the PayPal system, please read the information of the confirmation attached as pdf file carefully. A place on the course cannot be guaranteed until you have paid.
Please understand that we will only answer and process enquiries once we have received the completed form with all required attachments. We kindly ask you to refrain from calling us or sending us separate e-mails.
|Role / Name||Address / Telephone number / E-mail|
Coordinator for pre-sessional courses
German for International and
Consultation hours: Wednesday, 9:00 - 10:00 am