Application with German certificates

The content on this page was translated automatically.

What documents do I need?

As part of the online application for this degree program, I need the following documents:

  1. Scan of my certificate of higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Allgemeine Hochschulreife (Abitur), Fachhochschulreife (Fachabitur)).
  2. Proof of health insurance ("Versicherungsbestätigung für Hochschule")
    Membership certificates are not accepted. Please apply for a digital insurance certificate ("Meldung 10") for enrollment at the University of Kassel from your statutory health insurance company, which the health insurance company will send electronically directly to the University of Kassel. For this purpose, please inform your health insurance company of the dispatch number of the University of Kassel. This is: H0000479. If you are privately insured, you must contact a statutory health insurance company with your private insurance certificate. The statutory health insurance company will then digitally notify the University of Kassel that you are "not subject to (statutory) health insurance". See also:
  3. Scan of my proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  4. Portrait photo
    For the CampusCard (student ID) we need a digital portrait photo of you. The photo should approximately correspond to the specifications for the creation of official passport photos, not exceed the maximum size of 5 megabytes. Image formats allowed are jpg, jpeg and png.

Application for Fine Arts, Product Design or Visual Communication

  1. 1.General condition

    • Do I have a university entrance qualification?

    University Entrance Qualification

    In order to be able to study, you first need a graduation certificate with the authorization to study at a university (university entrance qualification): Allgemeine Hochschulreife or a vocational qualification (studying without a high school diploma).

    A good overview of the various degrees and their differences can be found on the information page "Zugangsvoraussetzungen" of the Hessian Ministry of Science and Art.


    The application procedure for all artistic and design courses of study includes taking an entrance examination. You can only enroll in this course of study after you have passed the entrance examination. Admission to the course of study may also be possible without a certificate of general university entrance qualification if outstanding artistic talent has been established in the aptitude test.

  2. 2.Entrance examination

    Approximately 10 days after the entrance examinations you will receive the result from the examination board: 

    1. "Passed"
      If you have passed the entrance examination, we also need a certificate of the Allgemeine Hochschulreife from you. 
    2. "Passed with distinction"
      If you have "passed with distinction" the exam, you can study without the proof of the General University Entrance Qualification. 
    3. "Failed"
  3. 3.Deadline

    • I have passed the examination. I will be informed of the enrollment deadline in the written notification. 

    "Enrollment" means that you accept the offered study place. 

  4. 4.Documents

    For enrollment you will need:

    1. Result of the entrance examination.
    2. If the result is "passed": officially certified copy of your certificate of general qualification for university entrance (Abitur).
    3. Proof of health insurance ("Bescheinigung zur Vorlage bei der Hochschule")
      Membership certificates are not accepted. If you are privately insured, you can obtain the certificate of exemption from compulsory health insurance from any statutory health insurance company responsible for your place of residence or university. This also applies to civil servants, judges, temporary soldiers and professional soldiers. See also:
  5. 5.Application

    Fill out application


    • Do I have my university entrance qualification (e.g. the certificate of general qualification for university entrance ) and a current digital portrait photo available?
    • I use a desktop PC or a laptop. The online application is not suitable for smartphones. 

    Register(only possible during the mentioned period):

    • I open the website of the application portal "eCampus":
    • I click on"Application" and then on"Registration". 
      (-> explanatory video)
    • I enter my data and set a password. 
    • I receive an email and click the confirmation link in the email

    Fill in the application:

    • I log in again to the application portal "eCampus" with my username and password. 
    • I click on the menu item"My studies" and then on"Study application" and fill out the form. 

    For the CampusCard (student ID, see step no. 7) we need a digital portrait photo from you. The photo should approximately correspond to the specifications for the creation of official passport photos and not exceed the maximum size of 5 megabytes. Allowed image formats are jpg, jpeg and png.

  6. 6.Procedure

    • I will send the printout of the enrollment application and, if necessary, other documents by mail to the Registrar's Office.
  7. 7.Semester fee

    • I transfer the semester fee. 

    Fees for the study program are charged every semester (administrative fee, student union, semester ticket, AStA). Information about the exact amount, payment deadlines and formalities regarding the semester fee can be found here: Semesterbeitrag

  8. 8.CampusCard

    • I will receive the CampusCard after the semester fee has been received by the University of Kassel.

    The CampusCard is your student ID for the entire duration of your studies. It is also your semester ticket and has other functions: Library card, culture ticket, payment card in the refectory, copy card, etc. For more information, click here: CampusCard

  9. 9.Introduction

    • I receive a postcard informing me that the dates of the introductory events are online. For the summer semester, the dates are expected to be published from February and for the winter semester from August
    • I check the Commencement website to see which dates are relevant to me. 
    • I attend the introductory events in the School of Art during the first week of the semester (before the regular events). 

    In the introductory events, the central questions about the structure of the study program are answered. Here you will find tips and information about the organization of your studies and the course of your studies. The timetables are drawn up during this time. And you will already get to know your future fellow students and the campus. So: be sure to go!

    Here you can find the semester times of the University of Kassel: Semester- und Lehrveranstaltungszeiten

Career change, change of course of study or change of university

Contact and advice

Information study

Phone: +49 561 804-2205
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 - 15:30
Friday: 10:00 - 12:00


Information desk "Information studies

Moritzstaße 18 (Campus Center), 3rd floor
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 - 15:00
Friday: 10:00 - 12:00

Information desk "Information studies: More Infos