Get perspective

The content on this page was translated automatically.


Directly after graduating from high school or after an apprenticeship or a year abroad, you usually start a course of study that leads to a first academic degree. This can be a bachelor's degree, a teaching degree with a state examination or an artistic degree with an artistic diploma.

In the case of a bachelor's degree, one then has the option of further qualification with a master's degree. Bachelor and Master belong together as a "study system".

Bachelor programs / Combination bachelor

A bachelor's program usually lasts six to eight semesters and ends with a bachelor's degree certificate. With this degree, you can start your professional life and the certificate is recognized on the international job market. Alternatively, you can continue your education in a master's program.

Depending on the course of study, one either studies one subject or one major subject and one minor subject. The latter are then so-called combination bachelor.

Bachelor programs / Combination bachelor: Our Bachelor Programs

Master's degree programs

If you are aiming for a career in science or would like to deepen your knowledge even further, you will study for a master's degree after completing a bachelor's degree. As a rule, this study program lasts two to four semesters. Some of our master's programs are designed to be studied while working (continuing master's programs).
Each master's program has its own profile. Whether a bachelor's degree is a good fit for this profile is assessed by the examination board of the respective program on the basis of the profile criteria.

Master's degree programs: Our Master Programs

Teacher training (first state examination)

Teacher training programs conclude with the First State Examination for the respective teaching profession (elementary school, Hauptschule, Realschule, Gymnasium). The final examination is administered by the Hessian Teachers' Academy. This is followed by the traineeship and the second state examination.

The vocational and business education programs are also geared toward teaching. However, they do not conclude with a state examination. Students receive a Bachelor's certificate from the University of Kassel. These programs also offer corresponding master's degree programs for further qualification.

Teacher training (first state examination): Our teacher training programs

Artistic courses (final examination/diploma)

The Fine Arts and Visual Communication degree programs conclude with an artistic degree. In the Product Design program, students receive a Diplom-Designer:in degree. A successful entrance examination is required for these degree programs. Particularly outstanding students in the Visual Arts and Visual Communication programs can complete a master's degree program.

Artistic courses (final examination/diploma): Study programs of the art school

Study in a practical alliance / dual study

With this type of study and you still gain practical experience in a company at the same time as studying. So it is not a special degree, but a special type of study.

Study in a practical alliance / dual study: More Infos

Requirements for studies

In order to be able to study, you first need a graduation certificate with the authorization to study at a university(university entrance qualification): General university entrance qualification, subject-linked university entrance qualification, university of applied sciences entrance qualification, master craftsman's examination or comparable qualification (studying without Abitur).

Forms of university entrance qualification

A good overview of the different university entrance qualifications can be found on the information page of the Hessian Ministry of Science and Art.

Forms of university entrance qualification: To the ministry website

Study without high school diploma

For those with professional qualifications, there are several paths to a place at university.

Study without high school diploma: More Infos

Additional prerequisites/requirements

In addition to the university entrance qualification, some courses of study require further prerequisites: These can be

  • passed entrance exams (artistic courses, music, sports),
  • proof of proficiency in a foreign language or
  • internships.
  • In the case of Master's programs, the Bachelor's degree should match the profile of the Master's program.
You can find out whether there are such special requirements for your desired degree program on the respective program page.

Number of study places = NC or no NC

There are enough study places!

Sufficient study places are available for many degree programs. All prospective students will receive a place on the course. All you have to do is enroll on time. With enrollment (matriculation), you usually register for a course of study with us, pay a semester fee and start studying at the beginning of the semester.

There are only a limited number of study places

An admission restriction means that only a certain number of places are available in a degree program. How high this number is depends on the available teaching staff and equipment. As a rule, you must therefore apply for a study place. If more interested students apply than there are available study places, a selection procedure takes place. If you are accepted, you still have to "enroll".

You can find out whether your desired study program is subject to admission restrictions on the respective study program page.

There are only a limited number of study places: More about the admission restriction

Multiple subjects and one of them an NC subject?

In the case of multiple-subject programs (teaching degree and combined bachelor's degree), it is possible that one subject has open admission and another subject has restricted admission. In the case of a combined bachelor's degree, for example, the main subject may be subject to admission restrictions. In this case, an application is required. No application is required for the minor subject. You simply indicate these subjects as part of the enrollment process. You can also find out which combination bachelor's degrees have admission restrictions and which minor subjects can be selected in the program description.

Other special application situations

Around the topic of application there are other special situations: Career changer, second degree, double degree,...

Other special application situations: Forward

Decision made?

The decision for a study program has been made? Great! We are happy about that. Within the deadlines you can enroll or apply for the study program. What exactly you have to do is described here:

5 steps to a study place

  1. 1.Requirements

    • I have a university entrance qualification (soon).
    • I inform myself about the further prerequisites/requirements on the respective study program page:
      • Admission restriction?
      • Entrance examination or aptitude test?
      • Language certificates?
      • Preliminary internship?

    We describe the topic of admission restriction in detail on this page: Admission restriction

  2. 2.Deadlines

    • I inform myself about the deadlines on the respective study program page
    • I also inform myself about the deadlines of aptitude and entrance examinations - if there are any .
  3. 3.Application

    • On each study program page, the application procedure and the necessary documents are described under"Application and Admission". I read through the information first.
    • I take care of the necessary documents.
    • I submit the application by the specified deadline. I find a description of how to proceed on the above-mentioned page. 
    • In the case of courses of study with restricted admission or subjects (NC), I take part in the selection procedure and wait for the result. If I receive an acceptance, I enroll. 

    Sometimes there are special application situations: Second degree, lateral entry, hardship cases, ... 

    You can find more information here: Special application situations

  4. 4.Semester fee

    • I will transfer the semester fee.

    Here you can find information about the semester fee: Semester fee

  5. 5.UniAccount and Co.

    • I receive a welcome email with important data.

    For a successful start to your studies, we will familiarize you with three important terms: Matriculation Number, UniAccount and CampusCard.

      This is your personal identification number. It is printed on your student ID card (=CampusCard) and is required, for example, for exam registrations or certificates.

      The UniAccount is your user ID for the various online services of the university, e.g. the WLAN, and is linked to a university e-mail address. After activation, all communication from the university goes through this e-mail address. Please activate your UniAccount promptly.

      We will send your CampusCard to the address stored in eCampus. It is an important part of your everyday study life at the University of Kassel. It is used as a student ID and semester ticket, as a library card, as an electronic purse for paying in the cafeteria and as a cultural ticket.

    Academic advising

    The General Student Advisory Service offers individual counseling on study options.