The content on this page was translated automatically.
With the completion of the bachelor's degree in art studies, you first have the opportunity to deepen your knowledge in a more advanced master's degree program. However, you can also decide to start your career directly. In doing so, a wealth of interesting and attractive jobs in the fields of art and culture are open to you. Institutions such as museums, galleries and cultural educational institutions offer many opportunities, for example as a curator or in event management, education and outreach, archive maintenance and press and public relations. In addition, your studies will qualify you for careers in cultural journalism, publishing and the art trade. Internships often provide a suitable entry point here. The degree also qualifies you for employment in various institutions, such as radio, television, libraries or the media industry. Restoration and preservation of historical monuments as well as event management and tourism are among the areas in which art scholars can find employment. Furthermore, you can specialize through appropriate further education programs. Only after several years of professional experience can you develop your own, often very individual profile.
Overview of typical fields of activity:
- Exhibitions: Museums, galleries, art associations, especially as a curator, event management, education and outreach, press and public relations.
- Archives, libraries, documentation departments, preservation of historical monuments,
- Educational institutions for adults and extracurricular youth work, restoration
- Art market: auction houses, art insurance, etc.
- Radio, film, television, media industry
- publishing, cultural journalism, art criticism
- coordinating functions with associations, foundations and scientific organizations
The Bachelor's program in Art Studies offers sufficient time for professional orientation. They can already make contacts during the integrated internship and gain initial experience in different professional fields. The Career Service of the University of Kassel also supports them when it comes to applications, job searches or company profiles.
You can also get information from the "Association of German Art Historians". The professional association provides a lot of information for young professionals and represents their interests. With a bachelor's degree in art history, you can become a member and have access to a job portal.