Orientation program for international students
Orientation program for all new international students in winter term 2021/22: October 11-13.
We would like to welcome you to the University of Kassel and introduce you to important service facilities. The offer is designed in such a way that you receive all the information, regardless of whether you are still in your home country or have already arrived in Kassel. The corona situation is very dynamic. Please understand that the program is provisional and can be adjusted at any time. Prior registration is required to take part in the live campus tour and live city tour. Please use the registration form below.
Further offers at the beginning of studies
The library is essential on the way to successful studies.Therefore the library offers an online library tour. Important information on searching books are given. The access link to Zoom will be announced here and at the Website of our library a few days before. No registration is required, just join in!
In this Zoom event, you will get to know the Career Service, an important service institution that, among other things, provides support in finding internships and starting a job and offers application portfolio checks. The event is offered in German and English. Please register for the event via the Career Service website. Decide for yourself whether you want to join the German or the English group.
The semester prepatory german course for international and Erasmus students (level A1-B1) takes place online from September 9th.- October 6th 2021. More information and registration: https://www.uni-kassel.de/einrichtungen/en/sprz/szdb/learning-german/erasmusvorkurse.html
According to the Ordiance on Coronavirus Entry Regulation, travel bans apply for persons from areas of virus variants. They are currently not allowed to enter Germany via all means of transportation.This also applies to those who are fully vaccinated. Exceptions are only possible in very few cases, for example for people with place of residence and right of residence in Germany.This means that for students and scientists from virus variant areas a face-to-face stay in Germany for study or research purposes for the winter semester 2021/2022 cannot be guaranteed to this time. Please note that entering the country is not possible even if the University of Kassel issued an admission letter: Since entry is not possible, visas can not be issued as long as a country is considered a virus variant area. Please inform yourself regularly on the RKI website about the risk classification of your home country. Current information can be found on the websites of the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Whether by bus, train, bicycle or on foot, you have a few possibilities to come to the university:
- Parking spaces: Around the Campus Holländischer Platz there are very few parking spaces in the surrounding streets (Hentschelstraße, Mönchebergstraße). Parking is also paid. You might be able to find free parking spaces on the surrounding streets.
- Train connections: The long-distance railway station is Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe. You can also reach Kassel main station via regional transport. You can find all train connections at www.bahn.de.
- Bicycle: Kassel has around 400 rental bicycles available at 56 stations, including the locations near Holländischer Platz, Menzelstraße, Heinrich-Plett-Straße and Wilhelmshöher Allee. The first 60 minutes are free for students of the University of Kassel. Further information at: https://www.nextbike.de/de/kassel/campusbike/
- Long-distance buses: Long-distance buses stop in Kassel at the Wilhelmshöhe bus/train station and at the P + R car park in Kassel-Ost.
- Airports: The closest airports are: Kassel-Calden, Frankfurt, Hannover and Paderborn. From Kassel-Calden, you can take a taxi or bus 130 to Kassel city center. The exact timetable is available on the website of the Kasseler Verkehrsgesellschaft. There are train connections to Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe from Frankfurt, Hanover and Paderborn.
- You can also use your semester ticket to attend pre-courses, but also to travel free of charge in Kassel and to get to a few cities nearby by regular trains (Not ICE – fast trains). the AStA has put together some information for you.
- Did you not receive your semester ticket on time?
- In Kassel, the central locations are Holländischer Platz, Wilhelmshöher Allee, Heinrich-Plett-Strasse, Menzelstraße (Arts faculty) and Aueparkhalle. There are two locations in Witzenhausen: Steinstraße and Nordbahnhofstraße. Further information
- Information desk "Information Studi: If you have any questions or problems concerning the beginning of your studies, the student assistants of the General Counseling Office will be pleased to help and advise you: Infotheke Studium, Moritzstr. 18 (Campus Center) on the 3rd floor.
- IT Service Centre: Support with creating a Uni Account, Internet connection at halls, etc. Mönchebergstr. 11, room 1740A
- Useful link: http://www.uni-kassel.de/its/neu-hier.html
- overview of all service facilities
As a rule, you arrange your timetable yourself according to the requirements of your module examination regulations. Information and support are available at the subject-specific introductory events. Example lesson plans can also be found in the module handbook of your examination regulations.
The library offers a wide range of support to help you get started with uni work. In addition to courses on databases, research or literature management, self-study videos are also available.
Dates and videos can be found here: http://www.uni-kassel.de/ub/benutzung-service/schulungen-fuehrungen.html
Every student is advised to own the Campus Card. It can be used both as a means of payment at the canteens and cafeterias on Holländischer Platz and in Heinrich-Plett-Straße as well as for printing and copying documents on campus. It also serves as an identity card for the university's library locations. Tenants of student dormitories are also increasingly using the card as a payment card for washing machines and dryers.
More information about the Campus Card: https://www.uni-kassel.de/its-handbuch/identitaetsmanagement/campuscard/allgemeine-informationen.html
The uni account is the central access to the services of the University of Kassel. There is an email account and personal password associated with the uni account. Students need the uni account to create timetables or to register for exams. You need a uni account to log in to the internet at the dormitories and on campus too. It is basically essential to create a uni account straight upon your arrival. More information can be found here: http://www.uni-kassel.de/its-handbuch/identitaetsmanagement/uniaccount/freischaltungaktivierung.html
- Tutors are students of higher semesters, who have already taken the first major hurdle to their studies and, depending on the background of their experiences, give their undergraduates information and support for starting their studies. As part of the project, you will get to know other students from your own area as well as from other departments and thus have contacts with people from a few faculties.
- The study portfolio helps you to keep track of your studies while optimising your learning. More information is available here: https://www.uni-kassel.de/projekte/studien-portfolio/startseite.html
AStA (Der Allgemeine Studierendenausschuss) is the general student committee. It represents student interests on a political level and makes a contribution to student life with further education, counseling and cultural activities.
Every year, all members of the university elect their interest groups. Students choose the student parliament, the student members of the senate, the student councils, the student representatives on the faculty councils.
The student council
The student council consists of volunteer working students and represents the student interests in the department. As a selected student council member, you will be involved in the university committees, help organise student introductions and, in addition, learn a great deal about the university: